Uwatec Aladin pro nitrox.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlackPatch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I understand that the uwatec Aladin pro nitrox is old technology but I am looking for people who still use these today.
Please give me an unbiased view of it in operation and how you feel it stands up as a dive computer.

Thanks for looking at this and your opinions.

Personally I loved mine... easy to read with my "mature" eyes. I know a number of professional divers who still use this model or the Sport model.

Negatives: Manual says even when the battery life indicator says 0% you still have enough to do a few more dives. Nonsense. Mine died on a long deco stop with 38% remaining battery life. I know of others that died with much more remaining time indicated. Remaining battery life is estimated using an algorithm rather than a direct read of the battery power. Battery musty be changed at the factory (unless you're willing to gamble) and is costly.

I still dive at least one Uwatec computer.

Personally I loved mine... easy to read with my "mature" eyes. I know a number of professional divers who still use this model or the Sport model.

Negatives: Manual says even when the battery life indicator says 0% you still have enough to do a few more dives. Nonsense. Mine died on a long deco stop with 38% remaining battery life. I know of others that died with much more remaining time indicated. Remaining battery life is estimated using an algorithm rather than a direct read of the battery power. Battery musty be changed at the factory (unless you're willing to gamble) and is costly.

I still dive at least one Uwatec computer.

Thanks for the heads up there DrBill.

I will keep that info in mind and monitor the batteries health with Eagle eyes.

Stay safe.

Pete.

Excellent computers, but as Bill says, the battery gauge is hopeless and it costs a bit for the battery (it will last 5-7 years probably). I still have 3 Aladins of various ages and types that we use as backup computers.

My dive computer owner history:
Suunto companion (dead) => uwatec Aladin pro nitrox (change battery twice: 1st by uwatec 2nd by myself)
=> uwatec prime (sold because I found the display too small) => uwatec Terre
=> Aerius manta (a dive watch for the occasional dive if on a non-holiday)
=> Suunto favor (in a console with the pressure gauge)

Points positive (for me) : Large clearly visible display. Better arranged onscreen information than other makes.
Points negative (for me) : The battery life indicator is incorrect; at 55% the 'ERR' message appears...time for a battery change. No backlight.

I now have a Uwatec Terre (little brother of the Sol/Luna) so regrettably my uwatec Aladin pro nitrox is now a backup computer.
It is however a great dive computer (IMHO)

Points negative (for me) : The battery life indicator is incorrect; at 55% the 'ERR' message appears...time for a battery change. No backlight.

Wow... that's the highest "remaining battery life" reading I've heard of when it dies. Most I've seen have been lower than 45%. My failure at 38% made me decide to always dive with redundant computers (although I don't do deco dives as regularly as I used to a few years ago).

Mine died with a reading of over 50%. Expensive to change the battery but I bit the bullet because I really like the computer although it is now a backup to my Predator.

Ditto others. I own two Sports, two Pros, and two Nitrox Pros. They are my favorite computers by a long shot. They provide all you need. Easy to use. Easy to read. And, most important of all, rock solid bomb-proof reliable. I have owned some hockey puck computers--Genesis Resource, Aladin Prime, Aladin 2G. All things considered, I'll take a Sport or Pro when diving air or a Nitrox Pro when diving EAN any day. When I dive one of my Aladin's, I never even think to carry a backup computer. When I dive my Aladin 2G, I will not enter the water without a backup computer, either also on my wrist or in my pocket. (But eventually I hope to be able to do away with a computer altogether--but I am not there yet.)

Negatives: As people said, battery life is computed by an algorithm that has nothing to do with the actual life of your battery. Moreover, battery replacement is expensive--right now, if memory serves, ~$130. Also, water temperature is not displayed. I believe the computer uses water temp in its deco calculations, but water temp is not displayed. I might be wrong, but I think you might be able to download water temp info for a dive using the Data Track or Memo Mouse or whatever is the one that these older Aladin's use (I have never bothered).

We own a couple pairs of pro's. They have been solid performers with no issues. The first battery was replaced at around the 50% mark, I can't remember the level of the second one. They were both covered for free.

Water temp is not shown but is provided if you download the dive info.
There are several services offering battery replacement for around $30 plus shipping.

If you are handy you can swap battery yourself. It can be a little messy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom