Ambon and Lease islands report dec12-jan13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Had a little less than 2 weeks to spend on holidays for Xmas and was wondering whether I could spend them in Bali or for the 2nd time in the year go back to Ambon and Maluku, which is easily becoming my fav place in Indonesia.

For two years I have been dreaming of diving both Banda islands and Nusa Laut in Maluku. This was something that became like an alarm device, ready to blow a horn whenever any dive opportunity would pop up.

I had focused first on a nice and relax stay in Lembongan, nearly booked a room with TwoFish when I received a mail from my favorite guesthouse, Mutiara in Bandaneira saying that NBA would increase the number of flight rotations at the end of the year. The alarm horn blew loudly, therefore we jumped on the occasion and booked our flights to Ambon, forgot Bali (sorry Laurent), arranged bookings to Bandaneira for a week and also for a mini safari trip to the Lease islands with Blue Rose Divers Ambon.

As soon as I had booked and paid my flight tickets, other news scripted on my mail client: NBA on the verge of bankruptcy was cancelling all their flight Ambon Bandaneira for the end of the year. My Bandanese dreams sank again.
Anyway, I had to find a substitute to Banda, so like many people I met on premises, we traded a week on Bandaneira against a few days in Southern Maluku’s Kei Kecil to witness what was buzzing on the travellers trail like the most beautiful beach on earth : Oiderlihir.
Despite efforts from Bob who's managing Coaster Cottages in Kei, we couldn’t find any compressor nor any dive master to provide me with a few dives around, hence I can’t say what’s diving like around Kei.

But I still can show the beach pictures, though… you go with 3km like this, Okay?

750Kei_3093.jpg

So that's the place where on Xmas day we popped up and shared a Ruinart champagne bottle we brought back from France with 10 other travelers. It probably felt too little in the glass but at least we could say we had a toast on Xmas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sidenote : I’ll skip the many difficulties to arrange something clear going through various Indonesian intermediates… Guys, don’t try this by yourself at home if you’re not ready to cope with the famous Indonesian “jam karet” perception (elastic time).
I was even surprised many things would fail after a mail, another confirmation mail, a third mail, a phone call on the day before and a SMS on the morning… but what can you do, the power of “Jam Karet” is strong as the Indonesian Throughflow.
Ok I may sound harsh, some local people are highly reliable and recommendable (Bob from Coaster cottages, Abba from Mutiara, Pak Agust from Molana, etc.), some simply aren’t. It would be a great improvement if Jam Karet afficionados would wear a badge, a distinctive cap, a bumper sticker saying “I believe in Jam Karet”. Will make thing easier. Thanks. :eyebrow:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1 : Ambon diving :

Ambon is becoming a second dive home for me after 3 stays over the past two years : as usual I booked dives with Blue Rose Divers.
I also had the chance to meet and dive with Jovin a regular of the board and CC from Penang, we dived altogether in Ambon and Molana. It was great fun and very nice moments which hopefully will be resumed in the future. :wink:

Divewise it seems Ambon got severely hit by august floods that silted many of the top sites in Ambon bay. The famous Twilight Zone, which is considered as the jewel of the crown, got nastily affected with silt coming from the land floods, I hardly recognized the fantastic sites I dived in the two past years.

It seemed the diving hotspots moved to the south of the bay, Maluku Divers boats which I would seldom see a year before were also regularly diving this part at the time I was there.
Since a bad thing is always balanced with a good one, the south bay sites were even better than what I remember.
One of the sites especially hosted more than 5 or 6 frogfish specimen including a hairy one, a dozen ornate ghost pipefish -some of them carrying an egg full pouch-, a juvenile mimic octopus, a couple of Coleman shrimps and miscellaneous critters I don’t even remember. Not bad for a single 80 minutes dive!

A hairy frogfish :

One of the many frogfish spotted in Ambon :

Ornate ghost pipefish couple :

Ornate ghost pipefish egg pouch detail :

Harlequin shrimp snacking on a starfish :

On the last day I decided to move on and try the new Blue Motion dive centre which is located right in front of Laha fishing boat pier, the heart of the famous “Twilight zone”. German owned Blue Motion runs a dive operation in Bandaneira, my initial dive plan, and also has a base in Ambon.

I had some very good and reliable communication coming from Blue Motion, which is not surprising from a german managed centre. They have thought about all aspects and carefully selected their marketing : they’re positioned on budget side of diving, the cheapest in Ambon while renting excellent equipment (Wings and Apeks regs). Unlike other dive centres in Ambon, they will advise for guesthouses rather than provide their own accommodations.
The downside is that for the moment they’re the newbies in Ambon and have little experience on the dive sites and the critters, but they plan in the future to hire local experienced guides. Yet, I could spot one of the critters I expected to tick off my list : the ugly and devilish looking crocodile snake eel.

Last edited:
Part 2 : Lease islands.

Ambon was more of a sidetrip for me while I was really targeting Lease islands and especially Nusa Laut.

I coudl arrange with Blue Rose, can't say it went seamlessly, went through a few misunderstandings and several adventures on premises but in the end I had what I was traveling for...

For that I chartered one of Blue Rose speedboats, DM Frangky as a dive guide and rented a bungalow on charming Molana Island with its beautiful beach, my non diving wife’s favourite place in Maluku. Not inexpensive but I would say 100% worth, I probably had 3 of my top 10 dives ever out of only 6 dives (we missed a few since the chartered boat was beached on the sand for one day... Indonesian flair.).

Plus I can say I spent the end of the year on a private beach with my private boat, private captain, private dive guide who caught for dinner a lobster and a tasty grouper that my private cook accomodated with a rica-rica chili sauce. On top of that I had brought a Pastis bottle from France as an aperitive and bought some peanuts to watch sunset... Well, an ending I can remember for that year 2012...

My boat, my beach, my sunset...
8380831689_7e753dfc42_z.jpg

As for the dives, I really wasn't disappointed : the first I had in Haruku was amazing, midway from Ambon to Nusa Laut, this site proposes a small coral garden at the bottom of a cliff. The water is so transparent, in the 50m viz range, that you feel like diving in a lake or a cenote, looking up the sky is yours while you could almost see the expressions of the local fisherman looking down from the cliff.

8389657487_a42a0a25b5_z.jpg

8409818244_ee54e44e14_z.jpg

Riding then to Nusa Laut, Akoon starts with a beautiful underwater arch, 20m deep at the most. The steep slope dives that follows is more uneventful but the biomass of fish is impressive, there’s an almost solid wall of triggerfish swimming on the crest of the slope.

Akoon Arch :
8409817928_8e7dc546d9_z.jpg

No more fish in Indonesia?
8405754755_4e0512b4bf_z.jpg

8354106817_43ef00e039_z.jpg

My favorite is till Nusa Laut's Coral garden...Only little impression can ooze through writings about Nusa Laut coral garden, it’s like Angkor Thom in Cambodia : you may write for hours there are lots of statues and temples but in no way you would realize how intoxicating this experience is. That’s how Nusa Laut works : I can tell you there are lots of pristine corals of any specie and loads of coral fish, but you’ll have to dive it to feel how impressive this is. One of my favourite dives ever.

I could upload and write about Lease islands for ages but you can also look at more photos of Ambon and Lease dives (Haruku+Saparua+Molana+Nusa Laut) on my
Flickr Gallery. So please browse and leave a comment. :wink:

Looks amazing. Defo all on my trip list!! Molana like a paradise and Ambon is a must. Great shot of the crocodile snake eel, that was what had previously eluded u right?

Luko,
Thanks for detail report,
Seem I have to put Lease into my bucket - or may be to lease the island and open a dive center:wink:
Beautiful seascape, abundant fish and fish, all in great viz.

Actualy I called and SMS John Sijabat of BRD for my ambon trip, he said, all his team was on the trip to saparua,
he will check with his team first - but came back to me once I already in Lembeh.

I have a week off mid of March; curently Bangka in my head but will further check if I can go to saparua
any suggestion to the board forum for the most effective ittenary?

re. Ambon,
I like the white frogfish, despite its white still has good detail
I'm not very succesfull in taking white object.
the ghost pipefish egg pouch is also amazing

i have been to ambon diving with ondina , but i am not too impress , i still prefer komodo

Actualy I called and SMS John Sijabat of BRD...but came back to me once I already in Lembeh.
Another Jam Karet believer... :)

i have been to ambon diving with ondina
Probably your main problem is the Ondina, not Ambon.
That is the main problem with liveaboards that dive a region only once or twice a year, how can you expect the guides to really know the sites?

Last edited:
Great report! You are quite the adventurer Luko!! @ Wisnu... I love the idea of you opening a dive center on Lease!!! Let us know when you are up and running and we will be there! :0)

---------- Post added February 11th, 2013 at 12:39 PM ----------

@Luko..p.s.- I love the name of the pictures named.. no more fish in indonesia! LOL I keep thinking of all of the huge schools in RA!!!

Luko you finally make it to Nusa Laut...well done mate....top report and great pics btw. Just curious you see any pelagics in nusa laut or was it mainly coral fish. Vis looks incredible. I gather you stayed overnight at nusa laut then?

Yes incredible viz, the least we had in the Lease group was 20-25m and it sometimes topped to maybe I dunno 50m or more. Infinite pool, but except from the odd jackfishes hunting in the gardens and a spotted eagle ray in the blue, no pelagics were spotted around.

As for the overnights, I spent them on Molana, Nusa Laut is only 30-40mn speedboat ride from Molana.
----------------------------------------------------------

Wisnu, if you read me : you need to clear up some messages in your PM to receive new ones, it says you've exceeded number of messages allowed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom