Back plate and wing or sidemount only BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlickNick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I already have a traditional jacket style BCD (Oceanic Oceanpro), and I'm looking to maybe get something a little better this spring. Its kind of between Hollis elite II backplate and wing package or Hollis S.M.S. 50 sidemount system. My dive shop can get me a S.M.S. 50 for about $500 (This dude rocks!), the Elite II package is the same price about. I also won't be using charters very much. I have my own boat. The only time I will be using charters is trips with my dive shop. The other option beside a better BCD is a drysuit. Right now I'm diving sub 40° quarry wet, and I would kinda like to be warm next winter and on some cold water dive trips.
Thank you for the help!
-Nick

I think i would shot for the dry suit FIRST . THEN THINK ABOUT A BP&W or SMS. Dry suit will make it more bearable to dive in the colder months and in your deeper quarry dives . I think you would benefit way more going that rout

I think i would shot for the dry suit FIRST . THEN THINK ABOUT A BP&W or SMS. Dry suit will make it more bearable to dive in the colder months and in your deeper quarry dives . I think you would benefit way more going that rout

I'm attending a drysuit demo next weekend, so I'll definitely give it some thought. Thank you!

Definitely go for the drysuit. Are you diving single tanks? I'm not sure what the advantage of sidemount is in that case, although I'm sure someone will chime in saying how it's the greatest thing ever.

But you won't regret getting a steel plate/wing system for single tank, cold water diving, so I'd go for that next, but instead of hollis, look at deep sea supply, oxycheq, dive rite, etc. Maybe you're near North East Scuba supply, they have excellent BP/W deals frequently. Way less than $500 for a steel plate, harness, cam bands, and wing.

Personally, I'm a big fan of sidemount...and the SMS50 is a good product. That said, I specifically dive wrecks and do a lot of penetration - sidemount suits my needs for air supply, redundancy and confined spaces. Sidemount is gaining a lot of attention in regular open-water diving - there are benefits beyond overhead environment diving. It can also be used with a single cylinder for quick fun dives.

However, I do feel that considerable personal research should go into a decision like this. The OP might want to cast around his local area for a reputable (not so many of those) sidemount instructor. I think most will be happy to arrange some form of trial dive or sidemount familiarization, pending a full training course. That'd help your decision a lot - you might get hooked... or you might find that it's not for you..

+1 for Dry Suit first...

I would continue to do your research, then make a PROs and CONs chart for all your BC device configurations; the Jacket BCD, BP/W and the Sidemount (SMS50). First figure what type of diving you will be doing the most and which configuration will work the best. Then get proficient with that configuration. SB is full of classified ads from divers selling used equipment that they do not WANT anymore for one reason or another.

That is my 2¢...:wink:

~Oldbear~

The other option beside a better BCD is a drysuit. Right now I'm diving sub 40° quarry wet, and I would kinda like to be warm next winter and on some cold water dive trips.
Another vote for a drysuit first, IF you have to choose between a new BCD and a drysuit.
I already have a traditional jacket style BCD (Oceanic Oceanpro), and I'm looking to maybe get something a little better this spring. Its kind of between Hollis elite II backplate and wing package or Hollis S.M.S. 50 sidemount system.
As much as I personally prefer to dive sidemount, and am an advocate of open water, recreational sidemount diving, I am not sure I would encourage you to go with a sidemount-only rig at this point. There are other options for someone who wants sidemount capability in addition to backmount capability. So, I agree with the advice to do a little more research before making the purchase.

Back
Top Bottom