Underwater hunting 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlyingSquid

Registered
Reaction score
What is a good post in this forum or good external link to familiarize yourself with the basics of scuba hunting?

In other words, how can one get a quick overview of:
- Which locations allow it or prohibit it worldwide?
- What kind of scuba experience and previous certification is required or expected?
- Are there agencies who train you for hunting? Is it necessary or is it easy to learn by yourself?
- What equipment?
- Etc

Sources that inform beyond the basics are also very welcome!

Not to take anything away from Scubaboard, but you might find more information at Speardiver.com, SpearfishingPlanet.com, DeeperBlue.com or Spearboard.com.

Those sites are ALL about spearfishing. There are regional forums broken down by geographical location where you can find the laws regarding rules where ever you are.

Most will tell you that a fair amount of scuba experience is necessary due to task loading. And the deeper you go and bigger fish you shoot, the more intense it gets.

Any agency that HAS a hunting specialty will only introduce you to basics. It takes a lot of practice to learn spearfishing, free dive or scuba. You need to learn your target species behavior, where to find it, dealing with currents, holes....etc.

Equipment other than basic scuba gear, will be dependent on what your target species is and how deep you're going to get it. From a simple 48 inch gun with a single wrap of line, to a free shaft with multiple shafts attached to using a reel or breakaway and floatline system. Stringers, mixed gases for deep diving....you get the picture....

Again, all this is discussed at length in many threads on those other sites. Some of the same guys from those are here...but it's kind of a different crowd. More testosterone and diving habits which many here would call.....anywhere from dangerous to absolutely insane. :D

Not to take anything away from Scubaboard, but you might find more information at Speardiver.com, SpearfishingPlanet.com, DeeperBlue.com or Spearboard.com.

Those sites are ALL about spearfishing. There are regional forums broken down by geographical location where you can find the laws regarding rules where ever you are.

Great answer and probably all you need to get started. Thank you for the many sources and the overview.

Most will tell you that a fair amount of scuba experience is necessary due to task loading. And the deeper you go and bigger fish you shoot, the more intense it gets.

Again, all this is discussed at length in many threads on those other sites. Some of the same guys from those are here...but it's kind of a different crowd. More testosterone and diving habits which many here would call.....anywhere from dangerous to absolutely insane. :D

Which I suppose includes you. :D

Well there's always the possibility to start by going after 10-inch fish under 15-feet of water. (No, wait! Those are probably harder to shoot.)

---------- Post added February 16th, 2013 at 05:21 PM ----------

Just curious anyway. What is your take? Supposing a fair amount of testosterone and healthy psychology and attitude are present, what would you say is the minimum level of experience to start considering to venture in the sport?

Read Helldivers' Rodeo, good story. I can't believe some of the tale, but sometimes fact is stranger than fiction. My opinion is to spearfish with free diving only. SCUBA gives an unfair advantage. You just have to be a better free diver to get to the bigger fish. Cheers.

Just curious anyway. What is your take? Supposing a fair amount of testosterone and healthy psychology and attitude are present, what would you say is the minimum level of experience to start considering to venture in the sport?

My take....well, I'm 57 so any testosterone would have to come in the way of supplements nowadays.
And first of all, don't believe all the BS that scuba spearing is easy and not a challenge.
Two reasons. One, if you're scuba spearing in an area where it's legal and others do it, believe me, the fish are smart. It's much harder to get close when making all the bubbles than it is free diving.
And two, you have a lot more task loading. You're wrestling fish, if using a line, you can get tangled. You have to watch your gas supply, deco time, depth. Shooting fish on a coral wall takes it to another level.

My take is you should have great buoyancy control and probably 50-100 dives to where you feel comfortable losing your mask and having to remove your bc (in case you get tangled). And feel comfortable doing a CESA from 50 feet or so.
And yes, starting out shooting small fish in less than 30 feet of water is a smart way to go. Get used to it. And read the Helldivers too. One of the best threads on Spearboard is "100 ways for a rig diver to die". It's started by a Helldiver club guy in Louisiana who does 250 foot bounce dives and gets BIG fish off the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico.

I rarely scuba spearfish now. Mainly because it's illegal in Belize. I do when I go to the Philippines and we try for dogtooth tuna and giant crevally. And although I used to do deep bounce dives, I only go to 150 or so now. Getting older....and smarter. I hope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom