Is Orange Grove worth doing as an OW dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JesperS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is our first planned stop on our spring break trip. We'll go to Peacock regardless just to see the park and do the trail, but from what I've been able to find, it looks like OG is not very clear at all, until you get to the cavern (we're OW, so have zero intention of going in the cavern).

Should we just save the gas and stay dry instead, or perhaps just do some snorkeling/swimming instead?

It is worth it depending in the water conditions that day. I would suggest stopping at either Cave Excursions or Dive Outpost the day of and asking the conditions. However to me any time under water is worth it.

OG is a decent OW dive if you're in the area. From what I've been told the Basin has cleared up, Unless it floods again with all the rain GA has gotten possible. Ginnnie has some good OW diving as well.

Oh Ginnie is definitely on the list.

Currently, the plan is:

Peacock (OG)
Troy
Ichetucknee (snorkeling or tubing)
Ginnie
Devil's Den
Blue Springs (Orange City)
Wekiva Springs (Snorkeling)

Then down to Key Largo for a few days. 1115 miles on the road in a week. :)

Originally, it was going to be 5 days of springs only, but our friends are going to the keys, so we decided to join them there for a few days as well.

Thanks for the feedback guys! We'll plan on stopping in at Cave Excursions before we head in and see what they say about current conditions.

One you might want to add is Paradise Springs. They allow night diving now as well.

Personally, not being a cave diver, if I was going to eventually make it to the Keys, I would just go to the Keys and do more Keys diving and less diving in a natural spring fed swimming pool. But that's just my preference for more fish life and coral.

Have fun.

I'd agree with Steve_C and I am a cave diver. The caves are spectacular, but no place for an open water diver, and the open water areas have some interest, but I think a couple of them (maybe Ginnie and Devil's Den) would be more than enough. Other than the caves, my favorite FL diving is drift diving off Jupiter or West Palm. I'd recommend a day in North FL doing a couple of springs just to see what they're like, then a couple of days at Jupiter Beach doing drift dives, then a couple of days in the Keys doing reefs and wrecks. As for Orange Grove, I haven't been there in the last month, but the basin is often (usually) covered in duckweed -- the water underneath can still be clear, but entry and exit is through the weeds.

One you might want to add is Paradise Springs. They allow night diving now as well.

Thanks for the tip. Before we added the keys to the trip, we were going to stop by here. We'll likely save this (and several others, like Manatee Springs) for future weekend trips, since I've locked in hotels, and the schedule doesn't have much wiggle room any more. My kid's g-ma lives within 15 minutes of Paradise.

Personally, not being a cave diver, if I was going to eventually make it to the Keys, I would just go to the Keys and do more Keys diving and less diving in a natural spring fed swimming pool. But that's just my preference for more fish life and coral.

Have fun.

I'd agree with Steve_C and I am a cave diver. The caves are spectacular, but no place for an open water diver, and the open water areas have some interest, but I think a couple of them (maybe Ginnie and Devil's Den) would be more than enough. Other than the caves, my favorite FL diving is drift diving off Jupiter or West Palm. I'd recommend a day in North FL doing a couple of springs just to see what they're like, then a couple of days at Jupiter Beach doing drift dives, then a couple of days in the Keys doing reefs and wrecks. As for Orange Grove, I haven't been there in the last month, but the basin is often (usually) covered in duckweed -- the water underneath can still be clear, but entry and exit is through the weeds.

We're "locals", in that Peacock Springs and Key Largo are both right at a 4 hour drive. What I mean by that is that we can go to Keys for a long weekend whenever, it's not a once a year thing or anything.

Originally, the plan was to go for 5 days, and only do springs, basically hitting 90% or so of the ones I wanted to visit. Some friends decided to go to Key Largo and were going to get certified before going (now, neither is happening, but that's neither here nor there), and we decided to join them and split the trip. Now we still have plenty of springs that we can go do 1 on a Saturday and have it be new.

Couple of reasons to want to do the springs as ow divers: only recently discovered Florida's springs, and love them, and feel like I've cheated myself living here all these years and having no idea of this beautiful natural resource. The springs are disappearing. No waves. No expensive boat rides. Cheaper hotels. Until we added the keys, this was going to be a very cheap vacation, now, definitely not so much. And we will get to see a lot of diverse Florida beauty and state parks.

That, and I'm interested in taking at least cavern, maybe intro, and figured visiting some of the springs might solidify the desire. We won't be entering any caves or caverns, save Ginnie's ballroom, and then only if we both feel comfortable with it.

Re: OG, I don't mind the duckweed, but if vis under there is only 10 feet, we won't bother.

Re: east coast diving: it's definitely on the list and looks AMAZING, but not until next year. I want us to get more experience before doing a drift dive, and my son needs to turn 15, and we both need to take AOW since most of the drives are deep there.

Dive the springs....stay out of the caverns just like you said. However remember that it can be windy in the Keys this time of year and it is possible to get blown out.

Unless the springs flood you will not get blown out here in Cave Country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom