Another "first timer recommendations" thread...CCV/IB/MP/etc...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkopec

Contributor
Reaction score
Booked for May 25 - June 1 (sat-sat) and thanks to all the posts here on SB and some on TripAdvisor, I think I have a decent plan, but still have some questions. So far it's just me and the girlfriend and we would like to do a decent amount of diving (I'm a little more hard core than she is), but don't want to be completely "secluded" the entire week. Would like to dedicate some time for fishing/dolphins/sharks/windsurfing etc. so having access to those types of activities is key. So far it seems like the play is to do the first 3 nights at CocoView and then the last 4 nights in West Bay (Infinity Bay or Mayan Princess). I would do diving package at CocoView and she would do a la carte. In West Bay, we would both do a la carte in order to leave time for other activities. Biggest concern is the extra cost of the 3-night and 4-night stays vs. the 7 night package deals. Some general questions:
1. Are there typically deals to be had over the phone, or are the internet rates pretty rigid? Looks like ~$250 per night w/ no packages, but just under $200/ night w/ a 7 night package (give or take depending on diving/meals/etc).
2. Would like to do our first night dives on this trip. Is it worth it to do the "night dive specialty" course at CocoView or will they let us just jump in on a couple night dives the few nights we are there?
3. Looks like CocoView would pick us up from the airport upon arrival, but what's the best play for transportation from there over to West Bay?
4. Is the shark dive located on the north side or south side of the island (ie, better to book that out of CocoView or West Bay or doesn't matter?).
5. The dolphin swim/snorkel looks decent but seems to have the same global scam of not letting you take your own pictures. Hard to tell for sure but seems like you can take your own camera on the dolphin dive. Is that the play?
Thanks in advance for your help. Looking forward to a great trip!
Brian

1) Coco View doesn't have to discount so they don't. I would be very surprised if they have any openings, but it would be worth a try. Buying the "non diver" package for someone who intends to dive "ala carte"... that really makes no sense for the non-diver pkg of $25/day savings.

2) Coco View only requires that you are a Certified Diver. I can tell you from my many hundreds of night dives that unless you get some instruction for night diving or are very comfortable- you won't see sh*t. At the very least, hire a DM (very cheap) to take you out. CCV is a night diver's paradise because of it being on the Resort's shore dive area, "The Front Yard". This is an area that you will become familiar with through repeated day dives. IF you remember the obvious landmarks, you can not get lost. If you are a comfortable diver, you might not need the c-card course, but otherwise- what could it hurt?

3) They will motor-launch you to the landing and there will be a pre-arranged cab waiting for you, priced in advance.

4) The Shark Dive is on the South side, located just East of the airport. Any resort can book you into one of their dive excursions.

5) Any resort can also book you into a Dolphin activity at AKR. Yes, you can bring your cameras on the dive, but that is expensive and the Dolphins can be fleeting or distant. The "Encounter" is a lot more touchy-feely, it's cheaper and it's non-scuba. I have seen guest bring point and shoot rigs to this, the water is too murky for u/w. There are generally two reasons for this "global scam" as you call it. Yes- to make money, but more importantly- they want nothing in your hand that an excited guest might use to push-away a Flipper if the guest became uneasy... many people do.

This will make for an excellent comparative trip report. I hope you can pull it off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Doc. Since this original post I have been able to secure the first 3 nights at Coco view and the last 4 at Infinity Bay. Very excited to get a taste of both worlds. Went with the full diving package at CCV for both of us as suggested and have a guided night dive already reserved. Time to start making reservations for activities while at IB.

Back
Top Bottom