Wisdom 2 malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

racerfern

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went on a deep dive yesterday and at 150' (approximately) my Widsom 2 started acting strange. My planned depth was 150 so I decided to look around for a minute and stare heading back. Suddenly it read 220' then back to 150'. Everything was blinking the unit would say Deco at 10', then Deco at 60'. However my air pressure seemed to be working properly. I aborted the dive and headed back to shore on the same gradual descent. I had 1600# IIRC when I turned around.

I continued and eventually saw the pressure drop to 1100, 800, 700. I had no depth reading but it certainly was getting lighter and lighter. When I got to 350 I decided to stop, look straight up and try to determine how far from the surface I was. I had difficulty estimating how far it was to the surfact and at minute the W2 was reading 22', again IIRC. Figuring that coming up prematurely was better than never coming up, I slowly ascended for what I would say was 40'. I saw the beach, and started kicking toward shore which was probably about a 1000yd swim.

I got DCS and had to go to a hyperbaric chamber where I spent two hours. I'm going back this morning for another treatment and then it's no diving for awhile. The point of all this?

When I got to the surface the W2 was still going nuts and showed me at varying depths from 22' to 9' and back. When I got home hours and hours later, the unit was still blinking and the dive showed over four hours in length. I went to sleep and woke up to a unit that had shut off. Pressing the front metal button it did a self check like usual then displayed "ALT" and shut off. This is repeatable. By pressing both buttons I got a self check and a SN but I can't get further.

I want to download this dive before the unit goes back to Sherwood because I want to see what was recorded and at what point it went bad. Was I so narced so bad that I was completely confused and saw numbers that weren't there? Or is what I saw what I really saw at the deepest point. BTW, something like this happened to a W1 I used to have and that one was replaced. Are there any suggestions?

I finally managed to get the profile out of the Wisdom 2. Luckily with the unit off I plugged in the download cable and it went right into PC mode. You can see a spike down at the very beginning, that did not happen. Then the big one 1/2 way through the dive. That also did not happen. The dive ended at 33 minutes, the rest was when the Wisdom 2 would not acknowledge I was at the surface. I'm contact Sherwood Monday morning, but at least I have proof of the errors I saw.

wisdom profile.jpg

I'm quite disappointed that I haven't heard from Sherwood either here or from an email I sent to cramerdecker. I've bought three Wisdoms and I'm about at wits end. I wonder if someone has a phone number I can try.

They haven't been on this site in over a 1.5 years. Try this number 714.566.3820 this is their address: Cramer Decker Industries
1641 E. St Andrew Place
Santa Ana, CA 92705

How old is the computer? When you send the computer in send a copy of the dive as well.

Thanks for the info. I will contact them.

The computer is less than a year old. I'll let you know how I make out.

It's a shame the manufacturer doesn't have someone visiting here. That can go a long way toward customer relations, or the opposite.

---------- Post added February 20th, 2013 at 07:05 PM ----------

A couple additional points of info:

I did speak with a rep at Cramer Decker and they took a bunch of info and said they would get back to me. I leave for a diving vacation on March 13 and he assured me it would repaired or replaced by then.

The blinking "ALT" apparently means there's a calibration error having to do with ALTitude diving. This makes sense because when reviewing history all dives say "SEA" except the "second" part of the dive at least as the computer saw it it says "EL02" which would be from 3000-5000 ft.

The last interesting thing is that when I hit the button to turn the unit on, it started properly.

I'm still amazed at the lack of communication in what is basically a tight knit community.

Last edited:
That's great. They are going to replace the computer you will get a different serial number when the replacement arrives just make sure you send a copy of the log file with the computer since they all look the same.

Dilemma resolved. The unit is being replaced with a new one. I was also led to believe that there will once again be official representation on this board and other social media sites. It appears Sherwood is realizing the importance of various social media outlets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom