Dive Event - Offatt's Bayou Feb 23rd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sushi Boy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For February, we thought we'd try something a little different, a saltwater shore dive. We're headed to Galveston's Offatt's Bayou on Saturday Feb 23rd to take a look around.

First, let me try to scare you away. :shocked2: The viz will be low, probably a few feet. It will be cold, think high 50's. You'll be lucky to log more than 20' there. Oh, and it's an active boat ramp (although there shouldn't be too much boat activity in late Feb), so we'll need a few dive flag floats. I have one, please let us know if you have one you can bring as well.

Ok, now the good news. This is one of, if not the only saltwater shore dives that we can call "local". Not many folks actually dive there, so if nothing else it's a cool check mark for your logbook. You should get to see some more interesting wildlife that we usually see on our other local dives - shrimp, stone crab, clams, trout and possibly a few other salties swimming through. Even though the viz is low, there is about 400' of cave line running between the shore and the attractions, such as they are, so you won't have to stumble around blindly. There is also a 15' boat that's sunk there.

This is a return trip for us, having gone before in 2005. The trip report from then is here and a few surface pics are here.

We're meeting at the 61st street boat ramp (conveniently located on 61st street in Galveston) at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday the 23rd with a spalsh time of 10:00. We're going to Little Daddy’s Gumbo Bar after the diving's done. If anyone wants to come meet us just for food and/or drinks, c'mon!

Let me know if you're interested in joining us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom