Where to take a beginner in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kmludwig76

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Trying to find the ideal destination that balances out my preferences with that of my friend. She only has literally 3 real dives outside of certification, whereas I have been to Cocos Island on Aggressor in addition to several dive trips in Hawaii and the Caribbean.

I am looking to find some balance between easy dives with a variety of ocean life. She has seen very little, so I'm certain that some basic fish/crustacians/turtles/rays will go far... for me though, I need sharks and prefer to invest my precious diving vacation $$s in places where I have possibilities to see awesome stuff (whale sharks, tigers, hammerheads, etc).

Other priorities would include some decent eating options, beaches, a little nightlife, and non-diving activities... all second though to diving.

Hypothetically, let's say the budget before diving expenses is $1500/pp for about a week ... plus diving. Where are you going? Keep in mind that I do want to "wow" her a little bit so that we have a lot of future diving trips :)

Let me preface this by saying this is just my opinion and we all know what those are like!

I was in this exact spot with my new (and improved) wife last fall. I'm a PADI instructor and have been diving for a very long time. My wife is a new diver and was not overly comfortable in the water. For me, it was a no brainer. I took her to Bonaire for a week in November and it was such a big hit that we're going back for two weeks next month. She went from being so nervous that her hands were literally shaking to being a confident new diver, excited for her next dive, in that week. I attribute here transformation and newly found love of diving as much to where her first diving experience was as to her outstanding instructor and dive buddy!

In my mind, it's the perfect place for a new diver. You dive at your own pace, not some boat or DM's schedule. You control where and how much you dive. There is little to no current to worry about. The reefs are great and the fish life is (I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this) the best (in terms of sheer numbers) in the Caribbean. You have the option of boat dives if you want her to experience that, but the shore diving is cheap, easy and excellent.

Above the water, the people are laid back and friendly. It's easy to get around. There are plenty of really good restaurants. It has all the typical water sports you'd find anywhere in the Caribbean. It has a pretty amazing national park in terms of scenery and diversity. The only thing on your list that I'd say Bonaire isn't either hands down the best or at least in the top 3 in the Caribbean is beaches. It's a big coral rock so the beaches are a bit few and far between. It has them and the few it has are as good as you'll find in most other places, but it just doesn't have that many.

Runners up, but not that close, are:
Cozumel - pretty cheap, great diving, great night life, great beaches, strong current drift diving might be a bit intimidating to a new diver
Caymens - good diving, great night life, plenty of non diving stuff to do, expensive

Most other places either don't have as good an overall diving experience, are more advanced or have nothing much else to offer

I hope that helps some. Do some research, have her help pick the place, dive at her pace and don't push it and next thing you know you'll have a dive addict on your hands.

I can think of 3 places with easy diving and some top side action.

Key Largo. it has very good shallow water reef diving. in the summer, it tends to be calm, little current with plenty of options at 30'. The deep water wreck dives are not for beginners.

A place that is even better than the Keys is Little Cayman. easy diving, great vis, and lots of life. It is more expensive than you want and no night life. I would think that either Cayman Brac or Grand Cayman could work

I would opt for the Caymans....Little Cayman Beach Resort, Brac Reef Resort, and Compass Point and Cobalt Coast on Grand Cayman. Listed in my order of preference. Great accommodations, great food, great dive ops, no bitting bugs, and stuff to do if the novice diver would like to hang by the pool.

Trying to find the ideal destination that balances out my preferences with that of my friend. She only has literally 3 real dives outside of certification, whereas I have been to Cocos Island on Aggressor in addition to several dive trips in Hawaii and the Caribbean.

I am looking to find some balance between easy dives with a variety of ocean life. She has seen very little, so I'm certain that some basic fish/crustacians/turtles/rays will go far... for me though, I need sharks and prefer to invest my precious diving vacation $$s in places where I have possibilities to see awesome stuff (whale sharks, tigers, hammerheads, etc).

Other priorities would include some decent eating options, beaches, a little nightlife, and non-diving activities... all second though to diving.

Hypothetically, let's say the budget before diving expenses is $1500/pp for about a week ... plus diving. Where are you going? Keep in mind that I do want to "wow" her a little bit so that we have a lot of future diving trips :)
It will be difficult to find what YOU want and what you state would be good for her.
I normally recommend Bonaire for the diving ease. BUT there is rarely anything big as you want on Bonaire.
I have a group going to Roatan April 27th.Saturday to Saturday..Leaving out of JFK. Cost is $1350. so that may be in your budget. Includes 3-4 boat dives a day, a night boat dive, unlimited shore dives,3 meals a day,beverages,transport from airport to resort. Nothing usually big here unless you are lucky enough to see a whale shark,rare but it can happen, or there is a shark dive that you can go on that is not included. Airfare is around $570. I have 6 spots open.

Original post Quote....
"Hypothetically, let's say the budget before diving expenses is $1500/pp for about a week ... plus diving."

I have Brac for $1650 and Little Cayman for $1750 as dive show specials that include room, meals and 17 dives so I'd say pretty close to "$1500 for a week...plus diving."

Look at little cayman beach resort 7 nights travel August - Oct. Package includes all meals, 2 tank am boat dives for 6 days of diving for $1383. Diving is great. Not sure you will see sharks but the reef and diving should impress all. We saw a couple sharks but not on every dive. You go here if you are serious about your diving and you both want to dive everyday. If your friend only wants to dive a little here and there and likes shopping and going out at night, look elsewhere. Bermuda is an option if you are willing to substitute your interest in whale sharks etc for wrecks. Great beaches. Lots to see topside. Great restaurants. The knock on Bermuda is that it is expensive and it is if you stay in a big hotel and eat out every meal. You can make it affordable if you rent a house or cottage with a kitchen and eat in most of your meals. Provo another recommedation. You will see sharks on every dive, or at least we did when we dove Provo. Beaches are great. Restaurants and things to do topside (at least so I am told). We dove everyday all day. Final note if your friend with 3 dives has not dove in the past year or longer make sure you check out the dive ops policies before you book. Depending on where you go your friend may have to take a refresher course, take a guided dive etc.

How about if the OP just pays you his $1500 for either of the trips you offer. It's pretty close - right.

Original post Quote....
"Hypothetically, let's say the budget before diving expenses is $1500/pp for about a week ... plus diving."

I have Brac for $1650 and Little Cayman for $1750 as dive show specials that include room, meals and 17 dives so I'd say pretty close to "$1500 for a week...plus diving."

With that budget, I suspect the OP will end up in Cozumel. Not perfect for either diver but I'm sure they will enjoy suffering through it.

Budget is not set in stone - if she had experience, I'd drag her to the Galapagos :)

I've looked closely at Bonaire, but came to the conclusion that it's too much shore diving and likely wouldn't fit my preferences. I've done a couple of dives at both Grand Cayman and Cozumel, and thought both were pretty average. I would probably visit somewhere new before I went back to either of those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom