Cavern course Feb 13ish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j-valve

Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like plans have been firmed up almost and I'm wondering if it's too late to get into a cavern course? I'm looking for a good instructor(s) to book with. I've done some cavern diving in Mexico, and it's time to get a little more serious about it. Any help would be great. We are staying in Clearwater-St Pete's but we'll go almost anywhere( what's a few more miles once were there!) for a good course with a good instructor. We also want to do some diving in the area so I'll post in the FL section as well, but any input is greatly appreciated.

J

j-valve:
It looks like plans have been firmed up almost and I'm wondering if it's too late to get into a cavern course? I'm looking for a good instructor(s) to book with. I've done some cavern diving in Mexico, and it's time to get a little more serious about it. Any help would be great. We are staying in Clearwater-St Pete's but we'll go almost anywhere( what's a few more miles once were there!) for a good course with a good instructor. We also want to do some diving in the area so I'll post in the FL section as well, but any input is greatly appreciated.

J
j-valve,

check with Birds in Crystal River, about an hour from Tampa.

chuckrt

Thanks for the help. I haven't been to FL for diving, let alone cave diving. Are we near some good locations or are we going to be in for a drive for the overhead stuff?

J

You have a about a 2 hour drive I guess so cave country to do a cavern course. You can check with www.scubawest.net. Also www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com. Also if you go to the NACD or NSS websites you should be able to find a list of instructors.

Thanks Wendy. The lists will be helpful but I'm also looking for some recomendationsI don't have too much time to make arrangements so I'm asking around for some expert advice.

I checked one site and they have the cavern course split in 2, intro with 2 dives and the rest with 4 dives. Is that normal?

J

j-valve:
Thanks Wendy. The lists will be helpful but I'm also looking for some recomendationsI don't have too much time to make arrangements so I'm asking around for some expert advice.

I checked one site and they have the cavern course split in 2, intro with 2 dives and the rest with 4 dives. Is that normal?

J

I don't really understand what you mean. Are you talking about a cavern and intro to cave course taught together? Some instructors do this.

The 2 links I gave you both have good instructors. Jill Heinerth is a great instructor and is at Scuba West. Ginnie Springs also has several good instructors.

Are you set up as far as required gear?

Sorry I was talking about the NACD and NSS sites with lists of instructors. The site I saw had intro to cavern with 2 dives and cavern with 4 dives. Sounds like a cavern course to me, but I'm not sure. As for the gear, I have 3 lights and a reel, and I dive singles. I think I need a safety reel, but I won't be able to get into doubles in time. I thought the cavern course was taught with a single tank.

J

j-valve:

J
Here is a site of a Istructor that has some guys from Canada coming down in Feb.
His name is Rick Murcar
I used him for my cavern/cave training. He IS GOOD,
He works out of Zyphyrhills Fl. Check out his web site. www.genesisdiving.com.
He is running a special right now on cavern and intro. Contact him I think you will be happy. By the way He's from Canada.
Good luck
Fred

Thanks for the info. I am the guys coming in February :)

I'l give you a full report when we get back.

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom