importance of long back plates for tall people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebrain

Contributor
Reaction score
How important are the long backplates for tall people? I am 6'5 and wondering if I need to buy one of the long pattern ones from DSS or if I can get any ol' cheap used plate and be fine. DSS was the only company I saw offering backplates that are extra long....?

I'm 6'4", I have one long BP and a couple of standard length. I don't actually recall which is which at the moment so it's probably not all that important.

If I did a side by side test I'm sure the longer one would fit a tiny bit better but the difference isn't noticeable for me.

It may not be the truth, but for me, getting the waist band where is is supposed to be aided my trim and stability. I've been diving off and on for over 20 years. Learned on a horse collar, and have owned a conventional jacket style BC, a back inflate (DUI Delta), and a BP/W (DSS Long Pattern). To me, it makes a difference..... I found none of this in the prior styles. Could a "standard" length plate have accomplished this? Don't know, but I somehow doubt it..... when a cummerbund or waist belt is just below my ribs, something just doesn't feel right...

For the record - I'm 6'-7" tall. I've been wondering if the X-Long would have been even better.....

Hmmm okay. Looks like the long pattern might be in my future...Darn I was hoping for a cheap plate. Is DSS the only options?

I'm 6' 4".....I started w/a DSS Long bp [which I still have but never use any more ] but because people are not all proportionally uniform [ leg-to-torso dimensions ] I wanted my belt to be lower so I bought the DSS Xtra Long and it fits exactly the way I like.......It not a matter of standard-vs-long or xtra long so much as what works best for you....I dive w/people who are as tall and taller and some of them use standard sizes or only slightly longer bp's....Some regular size divers have custom made bp's that are longer than the DSS xtra long.......It's what you are comfortable w/and fits your needs........

As far as I know, yes DSS is the only option for larger backplates.
If you have access to a water cutter and metal workshop, you could make one in shop.

The length of the backplate should be in ratio with your torso, not your overall height. Height is just an easy blanket statement to say, you will most likely need this size plate; because the majority of people are within simple leg-body ratio.

Most regular backplates run between 15.25in-15.75in in length. You should have the top roughly a hand length down from the top of your shoulder, and the waist strap should sit between the top of your hip bones and belly button (That's the top or bottom edges of the waist strap). If it doesn't 2 things happen:
1) Your center of gravity is effected because of the small plate/weight placement.
2) the edges of the plate bottom will dig into your tender kidney areas if your torso is too tall for the plate.

also, I know this will out me as a newbie, but with a BP/W is the waist trap supposed to hit you where your belt normally should? This would be different from my experience with bc's where the belt and/or cumberbun usually hits me at about the navel

---------- Post added February 20th, 2013 at 06:05 PM ----------

thanks g1138, that makes sense and is very helpful. So where should the bottom sit, right about the waist line in the back?

I find it curious that if this torso length : backplate thing is important why so few manufacturers offer it?

I think for the vast majority of people, the length isn't a significant factor, and re-tooling jigs can be cost prohibitive (thanks Tobin at DSS for giving us a choice). The adjustments available on a standard BP/W will accommodate most. The waist strap should fit so as to allow you easy access to the D rings, knife, SPG etc. Fine tuning this can take time, along with shoulder D rings and other items. The waist strap is a guide, if its at your chest or mid-thigh, you might want to consider a change. Best of luck.

I have my belt a few centimeter below my waist strap. My belt sits right on the top of my hips. My waist strap a bit higher above that. It's all about what's comfortable for you, but the two shouldn't conflict or go over each other.

Just adjust the harness and see where the backplate sits, if it's comfy then you have a good fit. If it's not and minor adjustments don't fix it. You may need to look into if a different size plate would help.

For me, my Dive Rite plate sits a bit above my hip bones. My Halcyon plate sits right on the top of my hip bones. With my tall friend, his Halcyon plate sits way high above his hip bones; which is probably where the curved corners help out. He doesn't complain of aching kidneys.

Here's a link to fitting a hogarthian harness. The same rules should apply (more or less) even if you get a quick release harness or a DR Transpac.
Hogarthian Harness Assembly Instructions - Dive Gear Express

also, I know this will out me as a newbie, but with a BP/W is the waist trap supposed to hit you where your belt normally should? This would be different from my experience with bc's where the belt and/or cumberbun usually hits me at about the navel

---------- Post added February 20th, 2013 at 06:05 PM ----------

thanks g1138, that makes sense and is very helpful. So where should the bottom sit, right about the waist line in the back?

I find it curious that if this torso length : backplate thing is important why so few manufacturers offer it?

Backplates have a *waist* belt. Your waist is just below your rib cage, your jeans (unless you are trying to look like a gangster) are around your hips, not your waist.

If your back plate is too short the *waist* belt will cross the lower part of your rib cage. If it is too long it will land on your pelvis and make arching your back difficult.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom