Usefulness of a Diving Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alewar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What's the point of a diving watch besides you being easily recognized as a diver?
The nice ones cost almost as much as a simple diving computer...

f.i. A backup device if your computer fails (provided you know a number of other parameters ( real depth or max depth of thevplace where you are diving), and eventually have deco tables with you ( unless you apply the 90 rule ( metric system))

Also good for the training in the pool for static dives, etc.

Well, I have f.i. a Suunto D4 as backup computer to my main diving computer, but I also have a divewatch which I wear much more often ( even so both can be easily worn on the wrist).
The reason being that divecomputers are still more cumbersome (because thicker) then a (dive)watch.

Personal preference, it doesn't really matter. I don't wear watches because I don't like them. I use a dive computer and a back up, either another computer or bottom timer. Do what ever works for your situation and preference.

I always wear a watch, why not make it one that has a depth gauge and a timer on it?
I wont need to take it off and risk misplacing it or having it stolen while swimming or diving, I wont have to abort the dive just because the computer dies. In fact, I wont really even need to bring or rent a computer..

Then again, Im a man.. I dont spend loads of money on jewelery, so why not just get a nice watch when I need a new one anyways?
Btw, I wouldnt even consider getting a "diving watch" without a depth gauge on it, but thats just me..

Chicks dig it.

---------- Post added February 21st, 2013 at 08:42 PM ----------

You won't even need a PADI Master SCUBA Diver C-Card to pick up chicks when you sport this bad mamajama.

DoxaSUB4000TonWrist_zpsddd2cc03.jpg

That Doxa watch costs like $3000 and its only cool feature is a battery-level indicator. Even if I had that kind of pocket money, I'd rather buy a Suunto Core for $200.

That Doxa watch costs like $3000 and its only cool feature is a battery-level indicator. Even if I had that kind of pocket money, I'd rather buy a Suunto Core for $200.
So, having decided that 3 big ones is a bit too expensive for not enough function we have narrowed it down to "I want one, but not TOO expensive"..
How about this one then?
BJ2117-01E.jpg
Comes in both metric and imperial :)
Select Your Country | Citizen Watch

Still not the cheapest, but youll save a lot of money on battery changes :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom