PDA

View Full Version : New version of the free (open source) Subsurface divelog

dirkhh
February 21st, 2013, 02:31 PM
Subsurface 3.0 (http://subsurface.hohndel.org) has been released.

New in this version (compared to Subsurface 2.1):

- Many new divecomputers supported, bugfixes for existing divecomputers
- Cressi Leonardo, Seemann XP5, Mares Matrix, Mares Puck Pro, Mares Nemo Wide 2, Shearwater Petrel, Shearwater Predator, Aeris A300 AI, Hollis DG03
- significant improvements for the Heinrichs Weiskamp OSTC
- Significantly improved selection of divecomputers for direct download
- Map display of GPS locations of dives and ability to enter and edit those
- Improved automatic dive numbering
- Data overlay for profile plot (with additional statistics information)
- Zoom function for profile plot
- Dive planner
- Improved printing support
- Improved dive trip handling
- Support for downloading dives from multiple computers (so for example both your main and your backup computer)
- Added ability to import existing divelogs from Suunto DM3 (no manual unpacking needed anymore), MacDive and divelogs.de
- Lots of features to make tec divers happy:
- Experimental deco calculation with optional display of a calculated ceiling (Buhlmann ZH16 with gradient factors)
- Display of deco information from some divecomputers that support this
- TriMix support
- CCR support (fixed or variable setpoint, on dive computers that support this)
- Optional pO2, pN2 and pHe graphs
- CNS tracking for supported divecomputers
- Lots of bug fixes

Binaries for Windows and Mac (localized in a dozen languages) can be found on our Download Page (http://subsurface.hohndel.org/download)

Lemna
February 21st, 2013, 04:54 PM
- Added ability to import existing divelogs from Suunto DM3 (no manual unpacking needed anymore), MacDive and divelogs.de

Thanks for providing an open source divelog!

I wanted to take a look at it (using windows xp), but I can't figure out how to import data from divelogs.de. I exported my data to a .DLD file, then tried to import it using the "import XML files" menu. First off, it doesn't show files with a DLD extension, so you have to type the filename. The program then responds that it "Failed to parse" that file. Next, I tried the command line: error message is "Failed to open 2 files"... Starting from scratch in divelogs.de didn't solve these problems.

Any suggestions?

dirkhh
February 21st, 2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks for providing an open source divelog!

I wanted to take a look at it (using windows xp), but I can't figure out how to import data from divelogs.de. I exported my data to a .DLD file, then tried to import it using the "import XML files" menu. First off, it doesn't show files with a DLD extension, so you have to type the filename. The program then responds that it "Failed to parse" that file. Next, I tried the command line: error message is "Failed to open 2 files"... Starting from scratch in divelogs.de didn't solve these problems.

Any suggestions?
Oh dang. It appears that I have built the Windows binary without libzip support - and that is needed to load DLD and SDE files.
Give me a few minutes and a new installer will be up on the website.
Thanks for catching that (it would have been even better had you reported this in trac.hohndel.org - there I get automatic notification when people report bugs...)

---------- Post added February 21st, 2013 at 02:45 PM ----------

Oh dang. It appears that I have built the Windows binary without libzip support - and that is needed to load DLD and SDE files.

Ok, I replaced the .exe on the website and verified that this one indeed does include libzip and now successfully opens .DLD and .SDE files.

String
February 21st, 2013, 08:56 PM
Looks like an interesting project but i can't get it to work with my Petrel.

The bluetooth works quite happily as i tried it immediately prior to that using the Shearwater software.

On Subsurface i go to the download dive window, select the correct computer, select COM1 (there are NO other options displayed to choose from) and when trying to start the download i just get "unable to open COM1". (and yes the computer is in upload log mode).

Using win7 64bit with the supplied Shearwater BT dongle etc etc.

Edit:- Identical problem on my win7 laptop using its internal bluetooth.

tcoen
February 21st, 2013, 09:46 PM
Hi String,

I am a Shearwater engineer. To use the Shearwater computers with Subsurface, you first need to pair the dive computer manually in the Windows "Add a device" menu. Start the Bluetooth countdown on the Petrel, then go to "Add a Device" and pair with the Petrel using pairing code 0000.

Windows now sees the Petrel as a COM port (if you right click on the Petrel icon and go to Properties, the Services tab will show you which COM port).

However, I've tried it and the Petrel downloads still did not work for me. The Shearwater Predator downloads did work though.

We will look into this with the Subsurface developers (or libdivecomputer developers) to get it working.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

dirkhh
February 22nd, 2013, 12:49 AM
Hi String,

I am a Shearwater engineer. To use the Shearwater computers with Subsurface, you first need to pair the dive computer manually in the Windows "Add a device" menu. Start the Bluetooth countdown on the Petrel, then go to "Add a Device" and pair with the Petrel using pairing code 0000.

Windows now sees the Petrel as a COM port (if you right click on the Petrel icon and go to Properties, the Services tab will show you which COM port).

However, I've tried it and the Petrel downloads still did not work for me. The Shearwater Predator downloads did work though.

We will look into this with the Subsurface developers (or libdivecomputer developers) to get it working.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research
Hey Tyler, thank you so much for helping out here. I don't think we have a current tester with a Petrel (we have a couple of Predator users, though). Could you send email to me (first at last dot org) and Jef (libdivecomputer maintainer, I'm sure you have his email address) so we can fix this problem?
Thanks
Dirk Hohndel
Subsurface maintainer :-)

String
February 22nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
Hi String,

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Thanks for that reply - i tried the manually pairing and it didn't work before posting here but nice to have it confirmed its not just my systems here.

markmantei
February 22nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Took a quick look and the software looks pretty nice, I'll have to have a closer look this evening, though I may run into the same Petrel issue posted above. If you need another Petrel tester, pop me off a PM. Any plans to create an import from oceanic oceanlog?

Lemna
February 22nd, 2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks for catching that (it would have been even better had you reported this in trac.hohndel.org - there I get automatic notification when people report bugs...)

---------- Post added February 21st, 2013 at 02:45 PM ----------

Ok, I replaced the .exe on the website and verified that this one indeed does include libzip and now successfully opens .DLD and .SDE files.

I tried again and it works, but there are a number of problems. I reported those in trac. If you need it I can send you my DLD file.

What is the best place for feature requests and non-technical discussion of subsurface? The mailing list seems geared towards the programmers, not directly useful for ordinary users.

iluvtheocean
February 22nd, 2013, 03:00 PM
Is the program compatible with exporting to any of the Android Dive Logs? (such as Dive Log)

dirkhh
February 22nd, 2013, 04:20 PM
I tried again and it works, but there are a number of problems. I reported those in trac. If you need it I can send you my DLD file.

What is the best place for feature requests and non-technical discussion of subsurface? The mailing list seems geared towards the programmers, not directly useful for ordinary users.

Trac is a good place for feature requests.

We are looking into creating a user forum at one of the major boards. Stay tuned.

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2013 at 12:23 PM ----------

Is the program compatible with exporting to any of the Android Dive Logs? (such as Dive Log)
There are SO MANY dive log programs and web sites and half of them appear to be named dive[ing]log[s] or some other variation of that. Can you point me at the specific one you mean?

Lemna
February 22nd, 2013, 04:46 PM
There are SO MANY dive log programs and web sites and half of them appear to be named dive[ing]log[s] or some other variation of that. Can you point me at the specific one you mean?

Divinglog 5 (windows) exports to Dive Log by Rob Knapen (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shuffledbits.divelog), which is quite nice.

exposure
February 22nd, 2013, 04:49 PM
Really promising, congrat. I tried it with an xml import from MacDive, few missing information but not a big deal. I really like the GF profile on each dive but didn't find the way to add tank switch into a dive :)

dirkhh
February 22nd, 2013, 06:40 PM
Really promising, congrat. I tried it with an xml import from MacDive, few missing information but not a big deal. I really like the GF profile on each dive but didn't find the way to add tank switch into a dive :)
If the tank change was in your MacDive data or was imported from the dive computer, it should be shown in Subsurface.
I have now seen a number of reports that the Mac binary may suffer from a similar import problem as the Windows one, so it is possible that the MacDive import was incomplete... can you tell me which information is missing?
And finally, yes, manually adding a gas switch is on our list of things to implement for Subsurface 3.1

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2013 at 02:43 PM ----------

Divinglog 5 (windows) exports to Dive Log by Rob Knapen (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shuffledbits.divelog), which is quite nice.
Dive Log does look really nice. I need to install this on my phone :-)
I just sent email to the developer, asking him for more information on data exchange - it's certainly something we are actively enabling for many other dive logs...

dirkhh
February 24th, 2013, 01:45 PM
We now have confirmed that the Mac binaries suffer from a similar import issue as the Windows binaries.

Our testers are mainly developers, they are mainly on Linux - so the two installers didn't get enough scrutiny. I'd love to see some Windows and Mac users join our mailing list and help us do better testing before we do releases. If you decide to do so, please send a "Hello" email to the mailing list so we know that we have new testers and can point you in the right direction.

Speaking of releases - I'll do a 3.0.1 update release in the next couple of days that should address the import issues.

dirkhh
February 26th, 2013, 06:07 PM
This should fix the reported bugs around imports from other divelog software.

Details (and downloads) on our website (http://subsurface.hohndel.org/de/2013/02/subsurface-3-0-1-has-been-released/)

OzGriffo
February 28th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Really impressive app. I may have just stopped using Macdive, however not sure if the import bug is completely squashed. I exported 97 dives out of Macdive and only 71 turned up in Subsurface.

dirkhh
March 1st, 2013, 01:55 PM
Really impressive app. I may have just stopped using Macdive, however not sure if the import bug is completely squashed. I exported 97 dives out of Macdive and only 71 turned up in Subsurface.

Could you report this on trac.hohndel.org (http://trac.hohndel.org) - ideally with your MacDive file attached? Or (for understandable privacy concerns) report on trac and then send me email with the MacDive file?

Since import is one of the big new features and is very important for people coming from other platforms this is something that we are quite interested in getting right

/D.

OzGriffo
March 2nd, 2013, 01:51 AM
Could you report this on trac.hohndel.org (http://trac.hohndel.org) - ideally with your MacDive file attached? Or (for understandable privacy concerns) report on trac and then send me email with the MacDive file?

Since import is one of the big new features and is very important for people coming from other platforms this is something that we are quite interested in getting right

/D.

I tried but the tracker inly allows files up to 250k to be attached. The zipped export is only 360k but still too big.

dirkhh
March 2nd, 2013, 03:23 AM
I tried but the tracker inly allows files up to 250k to be attached. The zipped export is only 360k but still too big.
Let me fix this in trac. In the meantime, feel free to send this to me via email. dirk at tracker website without 'trac' (silly attempt to make it harder to harvest my email for spam purposes...)

fdarden
March 2nd, 2013, 05:16 AM
Would be REALLY useful if there was a way to import the Shearwater Desktop's DB file (starting dive #, ending dive #, etc) . As it stands right now, Shearwater Desktop only allows a dive-by-dive export in the xml format. I have 500+ dives to import, so that might take awhile. Software looks nice, but right now importing from Shearwater software is a no-go. I cant even get the single dives I export (which is not a "way") to import just to see what the software will do. It will be exciting to see how this open source project progresses. Thanks for getting this off the ground.

dirkhh
March 2nd, 2013, 09:05 PM
Would be REALLY useful if there was a way to import the Shearwater Desktop's DB file (starting dive #, ending dive #, etc) . As it stands right now, Shearwater Desktop only allows a dive-by-dive export in the xml format. I have 500+ dives to import, so that might take awhile. Software looks nice, but right now importing from Shearwater software is a no-go. I cant even get the single dives I export (which is not a "way") to import just to see what the software will do. It will be exciting to see how this open source project progresses. Thanks for getting this off the ground.
Thanks to Shearwater I actually now have access both to a Shearwater Petrel and to their desktop software. My todo list is insanely long, but I am planning to take a look at that and see if we can import data from there in a more convenient fashion.

emoreira
March 3rd, 2013, 11:51 AM
Hi all, I've been using Ocenalog 2.0 with my VEO 180NX.
I've downloaded the subsurface SW and I would like to import the logged dives in Ocenalog (the PDC only stores the last 24 dives), but Subsurface seems not to be able to load the *dlg files from the Oceanlog. I've also stored the logged dives in TXT format, but also Subsurface do not load TXT files.
Any idea ?

dirkhh
March 4th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Hi all, I've been using Ocenalog 2.0 with my VEO 180NX.
I've downloaded the subsurface SW and I would like to import the logged dives in Ocenalog (the PDC only stores the last 24 dives), but Subsurface seems not to be able to load the *dlg files from the Oceanlog. I've also stored the logged dives in TXT format, but also Subsurface do not load TXT files.
Any idea ?
Sure - why don't you file a request on trac.hohndel.org (http://trac.hohndel.org) and attach both the TXT file and the .dlg file - with any luck we can figure out the format and add an importer for that :-)

---------- Post added March 4th, 2013 at 09:45 AM ----------

Oh how I HATE the 'bunching replies together bullsh*t that scubaboard does...

the below is COMPLETELY unrelated to the above... it's a quick announcement of Subsurface 3.0.2...:

This fixes a bunch of bugs - it's most important for people diving CCR with measured pO2 (usually from Shearwater computers). We fixed a rather unfortunate bug there - please read the announcement (http://subsurface.hohndel.org/2013/03/subsurface-3-0-2-has-been-released/) for details

emoreira
March 7th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Sure - why don't you file a request on trac.hohndel.org (http://trac.hohndel.org) and attach both the TXT file and the .dlg file - with any luck we can figure out the format and add an importer for that :-)

Ticket #87
Thanks.

dirkhh
March 7th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Ticket #87
Thanks.

I took a quick look at the files. Oh boy. One is an MS Access database (forget about that), the other a somewhat semi-structured text file.
From an interoperability point of view those are two really poor choices.
It will take us a while to figure out how to import this, I'm afraid. We basically would have to write a parser for the text file.

As a workaround... you should be able to import your data into divelogs.de (http://en.divelogs.de/) (a free, web based divelog - once you are registered the import from OceanLog is here (http://en.divelogs.de/upload_oceanlog.php)) and Subsurface will happily import the DLD file export from divelogs.de

Not ideal, but a way to get your data into Subsurface today.

/D

madist
March 11th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Hi all, if you need a petrel tester, there's another ;-). I paired petrel with the computer (windows 7), also checked in properties, which com port its bluetooth connection emulates, switched petrel to log upload mode. Software started download bar but then stopped with "Dive data import error", Petrel in its own
responded with "ISO 14229 dwnld, wrong seq" message on screen. Subsurface 3.02 on windows, petrel firmware 20080111

dirkhh
March 12th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Hi all, if you need a petrel tester, there's another ;-). I paired petrel with the computer (windows 7), also checked in properties, which com port its bluetooth connection emulates, switched petrel to log upload mode. Software started download bar but then stopped with "Dive data import error", Petrel in its own
responded with "ISO 14229 dwnld, wrong seq" message on screen. Subsurface 3.02 on windows, petrel firmware 20080111
Yes - this is the behavior we all observe; as I said, we are talking to Shearwater about this and hope to figure out a solution, soon

dirkhh
April 8th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Yes - this is the behavior we all observe; as I said, we are talking to Shearwater about this and hope to figure out a solution, soon

And here's the solution. Shearwater Research just informed us that they released a new version of the Petrel firmware. I had access to an early version and was able to verify that it fixes the download issue that many users experienced with V8 and V11. Please check New Shearwater Petrel firmware released | Subsurface (http://subsurface.hohndel.org/2013/04/new-shearwater-petrel-firmware-released/) for details

PCR
May 11th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Hi,

I'm just made my first 2 OW dives today, and used a Cressi Leonardo on those dives. I used subsurface to import the diving profiles (way beter software then Cressi's own software), but I encounter 2 problems (On windows 7 install, both Windows as SubSurface is setup to Dutch locale and language):

1) Although (my deadfull) SAC is being correctly calculated, the total amount of gas used isn't displayed. When I print the dive, it is correctly displayed on the printout.
2) The water temperature isn't imported. I presume this is more likely caused by divelib, but I don't know if and how I can check this (can I debug the read somewhere?). When I try to add the watertemperature directly to the XML, both as a seperate divetemperature flag (air and water), or when I combine them in 1 tag, the water temperature isn't read. (When I screw up the syntax, the XML isn't read at all (btw no warning given))

I used the following flag:

<divetemperature air='12.0 C' />

And although I'm no coder, I think I understood :

{
if (!dc->airtemp.mkelvin && !dc->watertemp.mkelvin)
return;
fputs(" <temperature", f);
show_temperature(f, dc->airtemp, " air='", "'");
show_temperature(f, dc->watertemp, " water='", "'");
fputs(" />\n", f);
}

To put them both in the same flag...

Edited to add: Although Cressi software does import the temperature, Divelog 5.0 doesn't. Since Divelog uses the same divelib library, I suspect that is the culprit.

bkkchris
May 13th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Great software. Using my Uemis Zurich with the latest firmware. Seems to import most everything fine but shows Max/Min Depth and Max/Min SAC incorrect.

For example, on all dives imported it shows Max Depth and Min Depth as the exact same value, but does show Avg Depth correct (assuming its correct).

On all dives imported it shows Max, Min, Avg SAC as exactly the same value always.

(not sure if this is a limitation with the Uemis or from the software side)

martyton
May 7th, 2014, 01:02 AM
Dear Dirk,
I found this post because I would like to switch from OceanLog to Subsurface (I have a Geo 2.0). Any chance this glitch have been taken care of and I can just import my dlg file directly?
Thank you, M.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1