New version of the free (open source) Subsurface divelog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirkhh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Subsurface 3.0 has been released.

New in this version (compared to Subsurface 2.1):

- Many new divecomputers supported, bugfixes for existing divecomputers
- Cressi Leonardo, Seemann XP5, Mares Matrix, Mares Puck Pro, Mares Nemo Wide 2, Shearwater Petrel, Shearwater Predator, Aeris A300 AI, Hollis DG03
- significant improvements for the Heinrichs Weiskamp OSTC
- Significantly improved selection of divecomputers for direct download
- Map display of GPS locations of dives and ability to enter and edit those
- Improved automatic dive numbering
- Data overlay for profile plot (with additional statistics information)
- Zoom function for profile plot
- Dive planner
- Improved printing support
- Improved dive trip handling
- Support for downloading dives from multiple computers (so for example both your main and your backup computer)
- Added ability to import existing divelogs from Suunto DM3 (no manual unpacking needed anymore), MacDive and divelogs.de
- Lots of features to make tec divers happy:
- Experimental deco calculation with optional display of a calculated ceiling (Buhlmann ZH16 with gradient factors)
- Display of deco information from some divecomputers that support this
- TriMix support
- CCR support (fixed or variable setpoint, on dive computers that support this)
- Optional pO2, pN2 and pHe graphs
- CNS tracking for supported divecomputers
- Lots of bug fixes

Screenshot from 2013-02-01 09:51:10.jpg

Binaries for Windows and Mac (localized in a dozen languages) can be found on our Download Page

- Added ability to import existing divelogs from Suunto DM3 (no manual unpacking needed anymore), MacDive and divelogs.de

Thanks for providing an open source divelog!

I wanted to take a look at it (using windows xp), but I can't figure out how to import data from divelogs.de. I exported my data to a .DLD file, then tried to import it using the "import XML files" menu. First off, it doesn't show files with a DLD extension, so you have to type the filename. The program then responds that it "Failed to parse" that file. Next, I tried the command line: error message is "Failed to open 2 files"... Starting from scratch in divelogs.de didn't solve these problems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for providing an open source divelog!

I wanted to take a look at it (using windows xp), but I can't figure out how to import data from divelogs.de. I exported my data to a .DLD file, then tried to import it using the "import XML files" menu. First off, it doesn't show files with a DLD extension, so you have to type the filename. The program then responds that it "Failed to parse" that file. Next, I tried the command line: error message is "Failed to open 2 files"... Starting from scratch in divelogs.de didn't solve these problems.

Any suggestions?
Oh dang. It appears that I have built the Windows binary without libzip support - and that is needed to load DLD and SDE files.
Give me a few minutes and a new installer will be up on the website.
Thanks for catching that (it would have been even better had you reported this in trac.hohndel.org - there I get automatic notification when people report bugs...)

---------- Post added February 21st, 2013 at 02:45 PM ----------

Oh dang. It appears that I have built the Windows binary without libzip support - and that is needed to load DLD and SDE files.
Ok, I replaced the .exe on the website and verified that this one indeed does include libzip and now successfully opens .DLD and .SDE files.

Looks like an interesting project but i can't get it to work with my Petrel.

The bluetooth works quite happily as i tried it immediately prior to that using the Shearwater software.

On Subsurface i go to the download dive window, select the correct computer, select COM1 (there are NO other options displayed to choose from) and when trying to start the download i just get "unable to open COM1". (and yes the computer is in upload log mode).

Using win7 64bit with the supplied Shearwater BT dongle etc etc.

Edit:- Identical problem on my win7 laptop using its internal bluetooth.

Hi String,

I am a Shearwater engineer. To use the Shearwater computers with Subsurface, you first need to pair the dive computer manually in the Windows "Add a device" menu. Start the Bluetooth countdown on the Petrel, then go to "Add a Device" and pair with the Petrel using pairing code 0000.

Windows now sees the Petrel as a COM port (if you right click on the Petrel icon and go to Properties, the Services tab will show you which COM port).

However, I've tried it and the Petrel downloads still did not work for me. The Shearwater Predator downloads did work though.

We will look into this with the Subsurface developers (or libdivecomputer developers) to get it working.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Hi String,

I am a Shearwater engineer. To use the Shearwater computers with Subsurface, you first need to pair the dive computer manually in the Windows "Add a device" menu. Start the Bluetooth countdown on the Petrel, then go to "Add a Device" and pair with the Petrel using pairing code 0000.

Windows now sees the Petrel as a COM port (if you right click on the Petrel icon and go to Properties, the Services tab will show you which COM port).

However, I've tried it and the Petrel downloads still did not work for me. The Shearwater Predator downloads did work though.

We will look into this with the Subsurface developers (or libdivecomputer developers) to get it working.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research
Hey Tyler, thank you so much for helping out here. I don't think we have a current tester with a Petrel (we have a couple of Predator users, though). Could you send email to me (first at last dot org) and Jef (libdivecomputer maintainer, I'm sure you have his email address) so we can fix this problem?
Thanks
Dirk Hohndel
Subsurface maintainer :)

Hi String,

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Thanks for that reply - i tried the manually pairing and it didn't work before posting here but nice to have it confirmed its not just my systems here.

Took a quick look and the software looks pretty nice, I'll have to have a closer look this evening, though I may run into the same Petrel issue posted above. If you need another Petrel tester, pop me off a PM. Any plans to create an import from oceanic oceanlog?

Thanks for catching that (it would have been even better had you reported this in trac.hohndel.org - there I get automatic notification when people report bugs...)

---------- Post added February 21st, 2013 at 02:45 PM ----------

Ok, I replaced the .exe on the website and verified that this one indeed does include libzip and now successfully opens .DLD and .SDE files.

I tried again and it works, but there are a number of problems. I reported those in trac. If you need it I can send you my DLD file.

What is the best place for feature requests and non-technical discussion of subsurface? The mailing list seems geared towards the programmers, not directly useful for ordinary users.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom