Looking for Chicago dive clubs/shops recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CD_in_Chitown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well it appears I'm no longer needed at my job in Seattle and try as I might can't find another gainful job around the area. So I accepted a job in Chicago starting in late January, now I just have to create a mid-west network of dive shops and buddies. I would appreciate recommendations on clubs and shops in the Chicago Lk MI area as well as any dive buddies who might be looking to brave the cold or looking to dive later this year even. PM'd warnings on places to avoid appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Chris

cd_in_SeaTac:
Well it appears I'm no longer needed at my job in Seattle and try as I might can't find another gainful job around the area. So I accepted a job in Chicago starting in late January, now I just have to create a mid-west network of dive shops and buddies. I would appreciate recommendations on clubs and shops in the Chicago Lk MI area as well as any dive buddies who might be looking to brave the cold or looking to dive later this year even. PM'd warnings on places to avoid appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Chris

What kind of diving do you do? Do you have an idea of where you will be in Chicago?

hantzu

I'm looking to take Adv Nitrox/Deco this year, probably wreck once I find an instructor. I guess after work, six-gill, night dives are probably out of the question but as long as it's wet I'll give it a try.

We're going to be in Bolingbrook Jan-Apr, then hopefully find a house in the west 'burbs somewhere. So I'm looking to find a shop or two so that I can point my realtor in the right direction.

I live in Naperville. The western neighbor of Bolingbrook. There are 4 dive shops that I associate with. One is in Orland Park, Scuba Emporium. I would have to say they are the best in the area. It's about 30-45 minute drive from Bolingbrook. There are two in Naperville. Below H20 and Berry Aqua Paradise. They are pretty decent shops. The Water Dawgs scuba club is associated with Below H20. The other one is Sea Lions in Hanover Park. Again about a 30 minute drive from Bolingbrook. They are pretty good and offer TDI's Advanced Nitrox/Deco courses.

If you are looking for a place to dive regularly, Haigh Quarry is about 30-45 minutes south of us.

Feel free to PM me if you want/need a dive buddy.

Duane

cd_in_SeaTac:

Thanks,
Chris

PM me when your settled and ready to get wet.
I'm partial to Scuba Systems in Skokie.

If you're going to be in Bolingbrook for that long and looking for a house, I'd be sure to check out some the new housing going in near Romeoville (just south). What do (or did) you do in Seattle?

I'm an IT geek for a bank out here, err....was. I'm going to be working downtown but don't want to live in the city, I used to live on the West side (Diversey & Cicero). We'll probably be looking in the Naperville/Lisle areas, maybe north...Romeoville seems really far away (as does Bolingbrook but I was pressed for time).

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be in touch once I get in town.

Clubs:

The Tritons A mostly recreational club, with a growing number of technical divers and more than 100 members. The club has no shop affiliation (!?) and has an internal PADI training program.

Underwater Archeaological Society of Chicago Untersee ubergeeks. Quiet, committed, some excellent divers doing some interesting work.

Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers An umbrella organization that has some information about most of the Chicago area clubs.

Three NAUI shops that you might want to check out...

Large active shop not terribly far from Bolingbrook:
ILLINOIS INSTITUTE DIVING- IID
436 W ROOSEVELT RD
GLEN ELLYN, IL 60137
USA Phone: (630)469-3483
Toll Free: (800)HOWDIVE
Fax: (630)469-3491
Email: diving@800howdive.com
URL: http://www.800howdive.com
Affiliate Level: ProScuba Center

Small shop near downtown:
MAGNUM SCUBA
MIKE PARNELL
14 E 11TH ST
CHICAGO, IL 60605
USA Phone: (312) 341-3483
Fax: (312) 341-3486
Email: maparnell@aol.com
URL: http://www.magnumscuba.com

Don't know much about them but they're not far from Bolingbrook:
FANTASEAS DIVE, INC.
1120 SOUTH STREET
ELGIN, IL 60123
USA Phone: (847) 608-9549
Fax: (847) 608-9974
Email: fantasea@peoplepc.com

If you're looking for technical shops, you'll want to check out

Adventures in Paradise (Wheeling)
Scuba Systems (Skokie)

A good (if somewhat outdated) source of info about all aspects of Midwest Diving: Great Lakes Shipwreck Research Brendon has listings of shops, clubs, wrecks, ad infinitum. Good stuff.

Steven

Check out Elmer's Watersports in Evanston
847-475-swim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom