Is Dive Right's remote exhaust dump valve (elbow) safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Thinking of adding a Dive Right remote exhaust dump valve on my new wing.

Do you think it is safe to use?
BC2750_Diagram-640.jpg

I got rid of mine. That's a very small, thin piece of rubber keeping your wing functional. And it's not needed. Hard to vent that when you are in proper trim.

Well, it's not DIR (just FYI) but I had one for years and never had a problem although I always cleaned it thoroughly.

I took it off last year and replaced it with an elbow because I took it apart and found the silicone in pretty rough shape and realized I didn't need it so it probably wasn't worth the trouble keeping it or replacing it.

Not a fan of remote dumps:

1) Not particularly functional when horizontal.
2) Encourages tugging against the wing/hose junction.
3) Exhaust valve is another failure point, but with little benefit.

I had to think about this one. I have a remote dump valve on my Zeagle Ranger but I cannot remember the last time I used it. I don't even know if my wing has one. Think I'll go have a look.

I was never font of tugging on the inflater hose to dump. It's just begging to stress something.

When I had one on my Sherwood Avid I never used it. The inflater held high is very effective if you are vertical. I'm horizontal and back dumping 95+% of the time.

Pete

To use a well-worn phrase, "What problem is it supposed to solve?" When you're flat in the water, you're going to be using your butt dump anyway.

While I would not classify them as "unsafe" to the point of "where all gonna die!" I feel they are very unnecessary and create additional stress to a wing. I have seen the cables break, rendering them useless. I have also seen the hose tugged on enough where it pulled the hose off the elbow.

23 years of diving them without problems... to each their own....

I wanted one, here is what a respected friend said. If you are going to dive stage bottles you may activate it when you don't want it to. I don't like the butt dump, I get too much water in the wing. I liked it on my jacket style, but I've learned to deal with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom