BCD Organization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basheirt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would love to hear all the different opinions regarding recommendations for the arrangement of various accessories and safety equipment on a standard BC with ample d-rings.

I recognize that - ultimately - it will come down to "personal preference. However, I'm sure there's already been a whole lot of trial-and-error by others.

There seems to be very little advice on this on the web.

I'll be using a new 2013 Sherwood Avid jacket BC.

There is quite a bit of advice available here, but it takes a bit of searching. The key points that will likely be following are:

• Don't carry what you don't need
  • Keep gear streamlined
  • Reduce / eliminate danglies

The most important part, especially for safety gear is:
  • Learn how to use it properly
  • Practice using it
  • Practice using it
  • Practice using it

You don't want to look like a christmas tree, and you don't want to fumble when you need your safety gear.

it may be more useful to examine the type of diving you are doing, decide what equipment is proper for that diving, and then set up your equipment to best meet your demands...

your bio lists you as "not certified" and "learning". Learn the basics of scuba diving first. There is something called "task loading' that needs to be comprehended first. Keep in mind, diving is an ever ongoing learning process. Enjoy the journey.

A BC with 4 shoulder D-ring spaced near the collar bone is redundant. If you clip off onto the upper D-rings, your danglies will block out access to your lower D-rings. The only time I feel more than 2 shoulder D-rings is necessary, is if you put the other (or pair) of D-rings lower down where your rib cage ends. I've seen friends toying with this setup when we perform scientific surveys; although it's using a Bp/W and single weave harness. They end up clipping their slates or reels to separate D-rings for ease of equipment navigation.

For your purposes:
Clip off your light(s) to your shoulder D-rings and loop the ends down with hair-ties onto your shoulder straps, or rubber inner-tube loops, or bungee-loops.

Console/gauges can go to a D-ring of your choice. Reels can go to your waist D-rings. For a SMB, get a Cetacea clip with a split ring on one end, and a male clip on the other end. You can then clip your rolled up SMB onto your female quick clip that's above your pockets. Use a bungee loop to keep the SMB rolled and the Cetacea clip snug under so the whole unit flaps less.
Camera is clipped off to a shoulder D-ring of choice using a double ender bolt snap to the lanyard. (I made a bungee system so my camera is connected directly to the double ender, less dangly).
Small slate can be pocketed in your BC. As can a fingerspool setup with an SMB if you so choose.

This is basically my old setup that I did with my Sherwood Axis. On my heaviest scientific dives I was carrying an 8.5x11in slate, 2x 50meter tapes, a PVC measuring pipe, 2x lights, SMB & finger spool, catch bag filled with ziplock bags, and a camera.
Used every single piece of equipment (minus one flashlight) and didn't feel cluttered at all, but you have to have some forethought into how you clip those things in, where, and how you're going to access them.
Often times the easiest clips to use are bolt snaps.

If you don't see yourself using an item, don't bring it. An SMB & reel can be left behind if you're sticking close to shore away from boat traffic. Likewise a second flashlight can be left behind if you only use one to look into dark corners during daylight. Make a good dive plan with buddy briefing and you can leave the slate behind.

Solutions:

1) Carry only what you need.

Apply K.I.S.S. principles to develop a minimalist approach to your diving. It helps to differentiate between 'needs' and 'wants'. Identify specific equipment that provides a necessary function that you need. Then investigate the market to identify which products provide that function in the most space/clutter efficient manner.

Do you need a 12" slate, when a more compact 4" slate or a set of wet-notes would suffice?

Do you need a 6" dive knife, when a line cutter (i.e. Eezycut Trilobite) would suffice?

Do you need a big pistol grip torch, when a compact LED 'AAA" torch would suffice?

2) Stow, don't dangle.

D-rings are the least efficient manner of gear stowage. They invariably allow equipment to dangle below the diver, causing an entanglement hazard and adding to task-loaded stress/frustration. If you BCD has pockets, make use of them. Sadly, most jacket BCD pockets are badly designed and difficulty accessing them deters divers from using them as their main stowage location.

You can improve BCD pockets by adding a loop of 3mm bungee sewn/secured into the pocket. Put a bolt-snap on each item to be stowed. Using this modification you can simply pull the bungee loop out of the pocket, add or remove what you need using the bolt-snaps, then replace the entire loop into the pocket. This also helps prevent you dropping/losing things.

If using BCD D-rings, have a strategy to prevent those items dandling. A rubber or elastic loop might help hold the clipped-off item snug against your BCD.

Using retractors and 'curly cords' for equipment security adds considerably to the clutter-factor.

3) Alternative Stowage Options

Investigate alternative stowage options, such as bellow pockets on your exposure suit thighs. These can be bought separately and then glued/sewn into position. If warm-water diving, you can buy 'X-Shorts'... neoprene shorts with pre-fitted thigh pockets. These shorts can be worn stand-alone or over the top of your existing wetsuit. Thigh pockets offer ease of access and improved stream-lining.

stream line it. i see people with safety sausages on walk in dives. meh, id only carry one on a drift dive somewhere im not familiar with. pockets are good in my book. i can keep my white balance slate tucked. a lot of BC's have holes for mounting your dive knife.
the integrated safe seconds and wireless computers help clean up hoses too.

Back
Top Bottom