Still finding new animals...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Midwater has been delightfully chock-full of zooplankton this year. Either that, or I'm just spending more time there.

An elegant siphonophore, Physophora hydrostatica. Approx. 2.5"

Another siphonophore, Praya species.

Leslie Harris kindly identified this 1/4", wildly swimming thing as a juvenile terebellid polychaete worm. She added that it was "long past the point where the pelagic larvae normally settle onto the bottom. Many juveniles will only settle if they get specific chemical or other environmental cues (like sensing the proper food or adults of the same species) so sometimes they'll stay up in the water column longer than normal."

I spotted this 1/2" ghostly crustacean swimming purposefully, all by its lonesome. Dr. Mary Wicksten was nice enough to ID it as a mysid. Although shrimp-like, it isn't a true shrimp.

The eyes of a predator, Carinaria japonica.

A gravid amphipod, Phronima sedentaria. She'll eventually lay her eggs along the walls of the salp barrel.

Lately, we've been seeing a fair number of Leuckartiara sp., only ~1".

This Leuckartiara looks like it might have a gullet full of prey.

Eagle-eye Kevin Lee dragged me over to shoot these new-to-me nudis:

Peltodoris mullineri on the Avalon wreck.

The predatory nudi, Melibe leonina.

Incredible photos. How on earth were you able to capture such remarkable images!?

Phenomenal photos :)

I am always looking for free swimming life forms in the water but never see anything that cool.

That last picture of the nudi on the kelp is kinda cartoon like.

Another great series of images, Merry. The first time I filmed a Praya, the tentacles wrapped across my face... OUCH!

I thought Kevin told me that Peltodoris mullineri was now in a different genus? I don't see them often, but when I do I hunker down and get as much footage as I can.

Another great series of images, Merry. The first time I filmed a Praya, the tentacles wrapped across my face... OUCH!

I thought Kevin told me that Peltodoris mullineri was now in a different genus? I don't see them often, but when I do I hunker down and get as much footage as I can.

That's got to hurt, Dr. Bill. Praya has extremely long tentacles!

I'll ask Kevin if he's heard anything about the mullineri genus.

Here are Kevin's fabulous images from the same dive - always putting Phil and my photos to shame, but we love it. On the 2nd page of Kevin's photos, you'll see that Kevin got a beautiful Mertensiid and Cavolinia tridentata!

Latest SoCal Dives - Kevin Lee's Photos

It's so wonderful to have someone else as fascinated by the midwater critters as I am, and even better that it's someone who can bring back such amazing images of them!

Merry, you'll empathize with this story: My husband and I were doing a training dive with an AOW student and her father. The dive she was doing was the underwater photography dive. At the very end, my husband took the camera to take a couple of pictures in the shallows, and then he and the other two surfaced. Just before I started up (this is in like five feet of water) I spot this jelly I've never seen before, and it's HUGE -- at least four inches across, with two large lobes. I frantically signal my husband to come back down and photograph it, and he shows me the thumb (get the *&# up here!) and I motion again for him PLEASE to come and take a picture of my unknown jelly, and all I get is the thumb in response. I was furious!

Oh boy, can I relate to that, Lynne! A few weeks ago, I accidentally found a Hilton's aeolid on the barge, which is right off our Redondo Beach. Phil covets this nudi, and has only seen Hilton's in the Northern Channel Islands. When I showed it to him in the camera monitor, he gave the "ok" sign and swam off! What? As a result of brushing me off, he had to make a second dive to look for the little thing.

Once again proving that communication UW is iffy, even in <5 ft!

There is a similar looking nudibranch, Jorunna pardus. Of course, Kevin has photographed those as well.

18482.jpg