Jakarta interational airport - maximum ATM withdrawal per transaction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cephalopod2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone know what the maximum amount a Jakarta airport (international arrivals side) ATM will give out in a single transaction in IDR?

I am not talking about the limit on my card. In 2008 I found ATMs in Manado, Sanur and the Philippines had a per-withdrawal limit -- the machine would not let me take out the daily maximum I am allowed in a single transaction. I could do it in several transactions but that means tripling the bank charges. In all cases I got a local recommendation of which bank machines had the highest limit.

If someone can recommend an ATM, and exactly where it is located, I would be grateful. I think everything in the airport will be Plus compatible.

I think the ATM will likely give me a better rate than the local money changers at the airport. I have a favourite currency exchange place in Sanur which I always use but cannot transit through Bali this trip.

Many thanks.

At the airport ATM I managed to get out 2 million IDR. I had tried 3 million, but was rejected. I think my VISA has a 200 USD per transaction limit, so I think that was the rejection, not just because it's Jakarta.

2millionIDR when I was there last. Some machines only a million outside of airport

Thanks very much ukdave, pughio and Cedric.

Are there money changers just before the exit in the Jakarta international terminal, the way there are in Bali? With the multiple bank charges it may be a better deal to bring some of my own currency to trade. Although the airport rates aren't isn't the best, they beat hotel rates any day (my only other option).

Haven't transited through Jakarta since 08...

Many thanks!

2 million and you do have to pay a charge for each transaction. It is a pain!

Thanks very much ukdave, pughio and Cedric.

Are there money changers just before the exit in the Jakarta international terminal, the way there are in Bali? With the multiple bank charges it may be a better deal to bring some of my own currency to trade. Although the airport rates aren't isn't the best, they beat hotel rates any day (my only other option).

Haven't transited through Jakarta since 08...

Many thanks!

i remember that the atm give me 3 million in the new terminal(airasia)... i dont try the money changers in jakarta, but OUTSIDE the ngurahrai airport in bali the rate was good.. to much better than credit card comissions....

For the sake of future travellers, I thought I would outline what I learned about ATM limits in Indonesia (and also how to avoid 50,000 bills which really bulk up your wallet IMO).

I found this website very helpful: Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) Guide For Visitors To Indonesia

In a nutshell, check the sticker on the ATM. Most have stickers listing either Rp50 000 or Rp100 000, i.e. which bills that machine dispenses.

The 50,000 Rp machines will give out a maximum of 1,250,000 Rp
The 100,000 Rp machines will give out a maximum of 2,500,000 Rp

All the ATMs I used - two machines inside the Jakarta airport (which were from the larger Indonesian banks) and even the two non-major-Indonesian-bank machines I found outside some shops in Sorong (i.e. remote) all had the bills dispensed marked, and all followed this rule.

I should also add, re. my OP, that there indeed are a strip of money changers just outside the Jakarta international airport, just like in Bali.

As an experiment, within a 24 hour period I paid for IDR transactions using (1) cash I had taken out of an Indonesian ATM (no foreign ATM fees or transaction charges incurred for my withdrawal from that account) (2) a Visa Infinite card and (3) cash I had converted to IDR at the Jakarta money changers. Which offered the best rate in the end? The Jakarta money changers - by about 2%. That would not have been my prediction. Of course YMMV depending on your credit card, foreign ATMs fees, service charges to pay by credit card levied by the hotel, what currency you are taking to money changers and the denomination of your bills, etc.

- cephalopod2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom