Looking to Dive Puget Sound Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Pacific Northwest Diver,

My family is treating me an Alaskan In-Side Passage Cruise in late August-early September. We will depart from the Seattle area. I was looking to arrive in the SEA-TAC area a few days before the cruise and I wanted to do at least one day's worth of diving.

Right now I do not have any reservations on dive site locations or operators. While I have looked on the internet I have not narrowed my search down in scope just yet.

Since I was not able to schedule a dive while on the cruise (arrived too late to meet the slack tide in Ketchikan) I most likely will not be bringing too much of my larger dive gear so I will need to rent a BCD or BP/W and exposure suit. I can bring smaller items like mask, fins, snorkel, computer, regs. and small accessories like light, DSMB on reel, etc.

Any suggestions for diving will be greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

~Oldbear~

Oldbear, we have a very welcoming group of divers in the Seattle area. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding much of the gear you need, or people with whom to dive.

Are you a dry suit diver? There are a couple of shops that rent them. Virtually all the shops will rent wetsuits. If you are willing to dive a backplate and long hose, I know tons of people who could lend you gear :)

If you have not dived the Sound before, there is a lot of cool stuff you can see on a simple shore dive. We do have some good charter operators, but they only go out on weekends, and it really isn't necessary to go out on a boat to see a lot of wildlife, including octopuses. The August-September timeline is some of our best diving, where the visibility tends to be better, the water is as warm as it's going to get (low 50's), and there is still a ton of life.

TSandM,

Thanks for the info...this will be my first time diving in the Sound.

I do like BP/Ws and I will be bringing my regs with a long hose/short hose configuration. A shore dive or two sounds great. I have not had any experience with a dry suit yet but diving in Colorado I know it is in my near future. So I will most likely rent one. BoulderJohn has a customized Buoyancy & Trim class I want to take as well as the GUE Fundies class.

I am not sure if my daughter and her BF will be diving too, but there is plenty of time to figure out all of my logistics. Do you recommend diving thru a shop or hiring a local guide...I am good either way?

Oh how I am getting excited...

Thanks,

~Oldbear~

Maybe arrive early and take Fundies while youre out here? We do have a local instructor! :wink:

Maybe arrive early and take Fundies while youre out here? We do have a local instructor! :wink:

If I cannot arrange my schedule with the local Denver GUE Fundies course...that is an excellent suggestion. :)

Feel free to give me a shout ... I'd enjoy taking you on a dive or two. I have LOTS of extra gear ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you are just looking at a day of diving here, I wouldn't rent a dry suit. They do require some time for familiarization and safety; you'd be better off renting a good wetsuit.

I would be very surprised if you would need to hire anybody to go diving with you. I know that if I'm available, I'd be more than happy to show you some local diving, and if you are here on a weekend, someone from our good-sized GUE community would certainly be happy to show you around.

Feel free to give me a shout ... I'd enjoy taking you on a dive or two. I have LOTS of extra gear ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you are just looking at a day of diving here, I wouldn't rent a dry suit. They do require some time for familiarization and safety; you'd be better off renting a good wetsuit.

I would be very surprised if you would need to hire anybody to go diving with you. I know that if I'm available, I'd be more than happy to show you some local diving, and if you are here on a weekend, someone from our good-sized GUE community would certainly be happy to show you around.

Thanks guys...I truely appreciate the gestures. I will be starting to finalize my dates in the next week or two and get things layed out.

:)

'Tis true :)

Let me know if you can get in early and we can put a class together, no problem.

Thats a GREAT time of year for diving here, its not cold surface temps yet, the water is still warm-ish and viz is usually excellent.

Hope to see and dive with ya !

'Tis true :)

Let me know if you can get in early and we can put a class together, no problem.

Thats a GREAT time of year for diving here, its not cold surface temps yet, the water is still warm-ish and viz is usually excellent.

Hope to see and dive with ya !

Thanks...we have a GUE instructor here in Metro-Denver, but I have not seen a class scheduled yet.

I visited your website and have saved it in my favorites...this could be a scheduling fit for me.

I will stay in contact.

~Oldbear~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom