Looking For Complete Package Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,
My wife and I are new to diving and we are in the market for scuba gear. We have been basically looking at the all in one package and with so many out there we are not sure what to get. We know we want a computer and would like integrated weights. We have been looking at some of the Mares packages and Oceanic. If anyone could please help we would greatly appreciate it. Our budget is about 1000-1200 each. We plan on doing mostly open water dives but also plan on doing a few cave dives a year in FL.

:)Thanks

Scubapro offers excellent packages w/in your price range!

You will receive Free Parts for Life, which is a great deal!

I would look to AquaLung. There are several factory backed packages. The lowest price package retails for $799 and includes the Wave BC and a complete Reg set (1st, 2nd, octo, console) with the Zoop computer (air/nitrox). The next package of course is a step up with a ProQD BC and a complete Titian reg set, but no computer. AquaLung has the best warranty program in the industry, and service is available world wide.

Just a side note: If you are new to diving and just getting into basic gear, I strongly suggest you get cave diiving out of your head. This kind of diving is highly technical and requires extensive advanced training. This is nothing to fool with, feel free to PM me if you want to talk about a more realistic diving/training plan.

I totally agree with Capt. Dan, beginning divers have no business cave diving without proper gear and training. What you don't know can easily kill you. None of the gear in any $1200 dive package is the proper stuff either.

It would be helpful if you could define your dive plans more completely. You live in NY but plan to dive in SoFl - are you also planning on local diving - it requires a different gear configuration.

Maybe post links to some of the packages you're considering, some of us can point out any obvious shortcomings not apparent to new divers. Or suggest better alternatives. Are you (or plan to be) Nitrox divers? Not all computers do both. Some entry level computers are air only.

Also what are your local service options - what brands is your local LDS authorized to work on? It impacts whether or not they can get parts sometimes also. At your price point, at least your regulator will require yearly service - even if barely used as seats deform over time, o-rings/seals degrade etc. so you will need annual service on at least some of your gear.

Even where you plan to travel can be a factor for service. Not all mfr's have extensive coverage worldwide. Both of the brands mentioned by previous posters do. Some smaller mfr's mostly have mostly U.S. based dealers, which won't do you much good if you pop a seal or need some minor repair while traveling overseas. My buddy once lost use of his computer for a week when the "new" battery died the 1st day and no one had a spare locally.

Last edited:
Packages aren't always the best way to go, for price, fit or value. Each individual component should be evaluated on a stand alone basis. Most important is the fit and comfort on the BC. See if any local shops have demo gear that you can take into a pool to try. My gear is a mix of brands and is what works best for me. Most dive shops will provide better pricing if you put together a package. If you shop through the Internet, I recommend calling the shops to see if they can provide a discount beyond the pricing on the web. I know a few of the big on-line shops will do that.

Regarding specific equipment, if you ask 10 ScubaBoard members, you'll get at least a dozen different recommendations. Everyone has their favorite gear.

Thanks, ill post some links later tonight on some of the ones we were looking at. As for cave diving we have a condo in New Smyrna beach and looking to do a dive at Blue Springs. Maybe in time we can

Thanks

---------- Post added March 1st, 2013 at 07:32 PM ----------

Oh also, we plan on doing most if our dive here in the Great Lakes and when on vacation. We have a pretty reputable shop locally (Dip-N-Dive) only thing I've found is they are priced a bit high when comparing the same stuff online, but very very knowledgable.

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2013 at 12:59 AM ----------

Gonna try to see about a buit your own packages at my local shop or what they offerOceanic Cruz BC Neo Reg Veo 1 Alpha 8 Octo Package

Mares Package #2

Mares Dragon MRS Air Control, Abyss 22 Reg, Puck Comp Console Package

For kicks, I put together this on leisurepro...

Oceanic Excursion BCD- $339.95
Scubapro MK17/G260- $374.95 (Don't know why this 2013 reg is so cheap... get it while you can)
Scubapro R195- $124.95 (other cheaper options available)
Oceanic VEO 3.0- $269.95
Dive Rite Brass Pressure gauge w/hose- $89.95
total: $1199.75 free shipping

My comments on the packages.

The Oceanic is a jacket BC. It wouldn't be for me, I like back-inflate models better since I like my front less encumbered. Most people I know who started with a jacket have switched to back-inflate. I only know one person who switched back. Maybe this instead: Oceanic Excursion BCD/ GT-3 Regulator Dive Adventure Package - although it may not have enough lift for cold water diving - check with Online.

Mares #2 is cheaper gear than either of the other two you're looking at. It's more a package for dive operators to buy in bulk. I don't know that reg but I think it's a lower end model also. The Pegasus doesn't have any rear trim weight pockets afaik. Often those can be useful.

Mares #3 is all decent stuff. I'd mention that combo octo/inflators are a little harder to use in an emergency since you'll donate your primary and use it to both breathe on and bring both divers to the surface safely. It's something you'd want to practice in a controlled environment. I prefer a traditional octo and separate inflator - although my regular dive buddy has an octo/inflator.

This may no longer apply as it appears they've done something to correct it but I've found two of those red-handled Mares weight pockets in different countries over the past five years - both times near a mooring which might indicate they fell out either when the diver first jumped or re-boarded. One of our group has a Mares BC, a few years ago she lost a pocket walking thru the surfline. Said it was the 2nd time that had happened.

I like what Wah put together also ^. [-]The reason the ScubaPro regs are so cheap is that they changed the style for 2013. It's the same internals as the 2012 version, just different cosmetics. So they're closing them out.[/-]

Beaverdivers was offering some good deals on Scubapro regs also, you might inquire about what he has left.

My personal opinion - I'd buy Scubapro/Oceanic or Aqualung before I'd buy Mares. Some of the Mares stuff over the years has seemed a little gimmicky to me.

Scubatoys.com is another source for packages. Good prices and everything they sell has a full mfr's warranty.

Last thing I'd mention is that your wife may be more comfortable in a ladies BC - they're cut different to fit a woman's curves/proportions.

Last edited:
diversteve,
that is the price for the mk17/G260... the one that just came out.

oops, I missed that...

Back
Top Bottom