SoCal Diver Accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Power Scuba

Supreme Benchwarmer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
It hasn't escaped my notice there have been a significant number of diver accidents and deaths over the last several years. Power Scuba has a number of ideas in mind to help address the issue of dive safety. Our first idea just went active. Please have a look. (Look for the refresher event page.)

Power Scuba brought six of San Diego's best dive shops together to collectively say, "We give a damn about diver safety". Go check out our six week long refresher promo featured on our main site... and heartfelt thanks to those dive shops who chose to participate. Their actions speak louder than words. www.powerscuba.org

Bill

Hatful, respectfully disagree. Just off the top of my head, Staci Jackson (died in Dec 2012 outside the Yukon) appears to have had some massive (tropical) BC/Weighting/Buoyancy issues. Couple that with a body fat percentage near zero. Her death could easily have been avoided, IMOHO.

Not to mention the woman from Temecula (last year or the year before) who panicked and bolted for the surface. (Died) I was there on the beach during the resucitation efforts.

Nor to mention the male diver who decided to go diving solo last May at the Shores... and never came home.

These incidents happen at just-long-enough intervals that if you don't have a good memory and pay special attention, the cumulative results aren't apparent.

I have many 100s of divers in my group who I've never seen at an event. I surmise that many of them are rusty/inexperienced/new/scared. I'm going to do all that I can to help ensure they get into the water (if they so choose) safely.

Kudos to the six area shops who joined with us to put on this refresher promo.

Bill

---------- Post added March 6th, 2013 at 03:27 PM ----------

BTW, neither myself or Power Scuba are being compensated regarding this promo in any way.

Back
Top Bottom