Palos Verdes Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The ocean was glassy as we headed toward Marineland this morning. A couple visiting from Spain found some uncommon nudibranchs there this week, including one I've never seen. Our plan was to dive the wreck of the Jenny Lynne, then offgas some more in ten to fifteen feet where the nudis were.
Visibility on the wreck was only ten feet, but I have seen it much worse. I took as many shots of the metridiums and rockfish as I could, but didn't leave the stern area due to the poor vis. We motored toward shore, only to find milky water in the cove. Buchanan's Reef was dirty as well, so I headed offshore to let Merry and Kevin soak in the salps and siphonophores.
We ended the day at the wreck of the Avalon. Surge, dirty water and 50° temperature made the dive less than enjoyable, but I did finally get a nice picture of a Peltodoris mullineri.

JennyLynne1_zpsfa762fc5.jpg

JennyLynne2_zps9c88b10f.jpg

JennyLynne3_zps49cae974.jpg

JennyLynne4_zps5ae36098.jpg

JennyLynne5_zpsb783443e.jpg

JennyLynne6_zpsa422ef95.jpg

JennyLynne7_zpsd15a1fa4.jpg

JennyLynne9_zps4ddbc850.jpg

JennyLynne10_zps37a59c1e.jpg

JennyLynne11_zpsc918d290.jpg

JennyLynne12_zps2dc866b5.jpg

JennyLynne14_zps4d1da8bd.jpg

JennyLynne15_zpsdbe65248.jpg

JennyLynne16_zpsaaa4e2c3.jpg

JennyLynne17_zps4552950e.jpg

JennyLynne18_zps77a4c00a.jpg

JennyLynne19_zps84989661.jpg

JennyLynne20_zps74c82a3c.jpg

Peltodorismullineri4small_zps65bd0f1d.jpg

Peltodoris mullineri

Nakedclam2_zps9f21200d.jpg

Nakedclam_zpsc690626b.jpg

Naked Clam, Chlamydoconcha orcutti

I love the 7th and 9th up from the bottom.

I am always trying to get the metridium picture I want . . . I like the approach of shooting them en masse, although our viz would rarely permit that. The 7th one up is lovely, with all the grumpy fish faces in front of the anemones. But the 9th one captures one of my favorite things about diving, which is the wonder of a whole school of small fish scintillating in midwater. Again, something we can almost never photograph, but my face lit up when I saw that picture.

Back
Top Bottom