DPV Course Compulsory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't have to have a class, but they do teach a lot that you might not easily figure out on your own. My scooter came with a DVD of instructional material on things like how to stop a runaway scooter, and how to execute an air-share while scootering, but we did have to go down and practice. If you know someone else who has a scooter, they can also do some mentoring. Using a scooter to dive isn't hard; using one as efficiently as possible is a little harder, and knowing how to cope with a scooter emergency is really important and not always intuitive.

On a liveaboard trip to Thailand years ago, the lead dive guide asked to see my specialty cert card for DPV.

Also, overseas dive ops who rent Scooters will want to see evidence of training before letting you use one for hire --so yes, take a formal course and get the specialty card.

Kev so did you just pull up youtube and show them some videos... I remember our DPV class... did we get a card for that? I don't remember if there was one... I just wanted the training.

Yeah Ben, we got a NAUI DPV Pilot specialty card --if you requested one.

That's one of two very rare NAUI cards from six years ago that have Andrew Georgitsis as Instructor (the other was his first Wreck Course under the old dive ops company 5thD-X); I finally had AG sign both of them last year!:wink:

Try one in 20' of water for ten minutes and you will figure it out pretty quickly. My buddy and I scootered all last season and it isn't rocket surgery. It is very easy and makes the dive very enjoyable especially where we dive there is a good current. I suppose if a resort asked for a card that's a whole other issue but if you are just looking to use one myself personally I wouldn't get the card.

Stano

Until I got my Cave DPV card, I never had any real "formal" training on a DPV. I did get some serious mentoring from both my instructor & others who have been on scooters for a while. One of the best pieces of advice I got was, "A DPV can get you rfrom point A to point B fast,.... It can also get you into trouble fast. Be aware & keep your head out of your rear end".

Until I got my Cave DPV card, I never had any real "formal" training on a DPV. I did get some serious mentoring from both my instructor & others who have been on scooters for a while. One of the best pieces of advice I got was, "A DPV can get you rfrom point A to point B fast,.... It can also get you into trouble fast. Be aware & keep your head out of your rear end".

A diver can be in for a long return swim if he/she doesn't pay attention!

It's one of those diving aspects that's pretty simple to figure out, but there are a few concealed dangers... and a few tips, tricks and techniques that make things much better. For that reason, formal training can have something to offer.

Back
Top Bottom