Air Breaks and CNS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've only ever done a handful of dives that were pushing CNS limits, so this is a theoretical question.

Lets suppose I do some monster dive and end up needing a couple of hours at 20 feet. That's going to be way over 100% CNS.

Assuming I do normal air breaks (12 on 6 off, or thereabouts) will I (probably!) be O.K. ?

Presumably that's how the WKPP guys survive??

The air breaks have nothing to do with CNS. They have to do with burning your lungs.

It is a bit of a double edged sword. As Your CNS builds during deco, you might consider taking air breaks to lower your O2 intake. This will add to your overall deco time since you will not be offgassing as effectively. By the time that you are finally cleared to exit the water your CNS can still climb to very high levels.

As already stated it will make a big difference in how crispy your lungs get. There is also the very real concern of oxygen toxicity during long periods of O2 use.

Some of these decisions are going to have to be made by learning and understanding all of the risks involved. This really is not something to try to figure out from a forum.

It is a bit of a double edged sword. As Your CNS builds during deco, you might consider taking air breaks to lower your O2 intake. This will add to your overall deco time since you will not be offgassing as effectively. .

Only if you are a slave to your computer.

Breaks to backgas before every gas switch and a 12mins on o2/ 6 off routine when at 20ft. I don't add any extra time when doing this, including on reasonably sporty dives. Also consider a low-ish bottom ppo2 in the 1.0-1.2 neighborhood.

Gas breaks are definitely about CNS. OTUs become an issue too on long exposures, but that doesn't have the same risk as having a seizure at depth.

On dives like that, it's a good idea to have someone on the surface for support, and I'd consider some in water help to take tanks and give you some more options if things go tits up.

Steve, I've read your article before, and it always leaves me with the same question; If gas breaks don't affect the CNS o2 'clock', how can we explain people going WELL over the 'limit' time and time again by employing gas break strategies? I'd be long gone if 100% (heck, even 300%) equaled a toxic event.

If the model doesn't match reality, then the model is wrong :)

I do agree that a component of the gas break is to maintain deco efficiency, which is why I don't count my off-oxygen time as additional deco time.

The one thing I think we all can agree on is that the entire thing is poorly understood and deserves a lot of respect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom