Deep Species

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hutt

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am researching deep dive sites for a possible TV series and hoping I can pick your brains. I'm looking for species, or particular behaviour that either only occurs, or is best visited, in depths of between 40-100 meters, anywhere in the world. Species like the Coelocanth for example. Your thoughts and suggestions very much appreciated!

cheers!
Hutt

There is a entire species here that loves to dive air to 100 meters. The things they claim to have seen can only be the stuff that dreams are truly made of, if they can remember. lol
Eric

Well, there are the cloud sponges and red Gorgonians on the walls in BC . . . You can occasionally find small clumps of cloud sponges above 40 meters, but they are much more abundant at that depth and below, and the gorgonians don't show up until you get to about 140 feet.

Have a look at Fiordland Sth Island, New Zealand. A bunch of features such as proximity to continental shelf, a glacial terminal moraine to stop ocean swell, and high rainfall floating on top of the seawater filtering light.

Species of deepwater dogshark, spiny sea dragon (Solegnathus spinossissimus), brachiopods, black coral (Antipathidae), red coral (Corallium rubrum). While these things are normally found below 70m, they can be seen thriving in Milford Sound (Fiordland National Park) at less than 15m.

Below is a seadragon with black coral- notice how white it is! It's alive.

seadragon.jpg

Warsaw Grouper...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom