DUI Weight & Trim System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
SB,

I was looking at the DUI Weight & Trim System and I like the idea of the harness support (I do not have hips). I also like that they are ditchable.

What I was wondering is how well do they work with a BP/W BC? I like my waist strap on my BP to go around my waist just above my hips...like I wear a pair of pants; not up high around my navel. Will the DUI W&T harness interfer with my BP's waist strap; it looks large and bulky?

Currently I divide up my lead...some on the top Cam Strap, some in DiveRite weight pockets on the waist strap back towards the wing for better surface buoyancy and sometimes on a web weight belt.

DuiWeightTrim.jpg

Just curious...

Thanks,

~Oldbear~

It's a great solution and it also get's rid of the crotch strap weight belt conflict. Especially when diving dry I let it ride low to keep the legs down and there is no interference at all with the harness/plate/wing.

If you have no hips its essential.

Pete

I use one. The way I wear it is slung real low, down on/below my hips (if you call what I have as hips - lol). The pockets are fairly large in terms of real estate they take up, but it is one of the solutions that works for me. I've actually considered modifying it, reducing the weight pockets sizes, and maybe making some other pocket on it (there are two pockets on each side) for stuff like SMB's & spools, etc.
Honestly, I don't necessarily believe the releases are a necessity. It isn't that hard to open a pocket and pull weight out to ditch it....Right now, I'm considering just some XS weight pockets on my waist strap of my BP/W, but that adds to the rig's weight (not really a fan of WI).

Echo other responses, I use it with my harness letting it ride low and no issues at all.

I too use the system with my BP/W but, honestly, I can't tell you if the waist band of the BP is above, below or over -- it just isn't an issue for me (obviously). I do know the buckles of both are just about in the same place -- if that helps!

It is a great alternative to weight belt. Here is a few notes: As other says, the pocket is quite large. When I used mine, I have it under the the bp/w with pocket sits below the waist harness. Given it large size, I really can't see how the pocket can be above the waist harness. You can't have the pocket under the waist harness because this will prevent the quick release mechanism from working. Since you also use DiveRite weight pockets on waist strap, I kind of think this may have some interference.. All in all, I think it is a very good solution if you need a lot of weight on belt, but it really depends on other setup in your system too. In my case, it didn't work for me.

I have not used mine sine i got my bp/w cause i need no extra weight. However i normaly always dive with a a shorty. I was just lookng at it the other daythinking how usefull it could be to use it as pockets for smb ect. Stuff you dont normally use during the dive but when you need them you need them. For those that do not have a DSS plate it would be great for putting the extra 8# for seawater diving.

I had one and hated it. The should straps fell off and was just a pain in the backside. I have hips though and found a weight belt to be preferable.

I can echo what others have said, although I use a Seasoft Seawolf harness instead of the DUI - SEASOFT SEAWOLF? Weight Harness. But the concept is the same. I keep the weight pockets low on my non-hips, and it doesn't interfere at all.

I was looking at the DUI Weight & Trim System and I like the idea of the harness support (I do not have hips). I also like that they are ditchable. . . . What I was wondering is how well do they work with a BP/W BC? I like my waist strap on my BP to go around my waist just above my hips...like I wear a pair of pants; not up high around my navel. Will the DUI W&T harness interfer with my BP's waist strap; it looks large and bulky?
It iS large and bulky, but won't necessarily interfere with the BP waist strap, IF the strap is long enough.

Yes, you can position the weights on the W & T below the BP waist strap, and the waist. That REALLY lowers your center of weight. If it works for you, fine. It moves weight WAY too low for me. I end up VERY foot down with a W & T harness.

It IS a matter of personal preference AND individual buoyancy / trim characteristics. I have one, but don't use it, except for demos in class. Otherwise, I would sell mine.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom