safety reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm in the market for a new safety reel ... having dumped the two "Just Works" reels I bought a couple years ago (they don't live up to their name).

Wondering what y'all use, why you chose it, and what (if anything) you don't like about it.

There's a lot of different choices out there ... I'd prefer something that winds (in other words, not a finger spool) ... and something I won't be taking the line off of and tossing in the trash after I find out it comes with built-in "gotchya's". When you need to deploy a safety reel, the last thing you want is something that has to be fiddled with, or something that's prone to rats-nesting ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hello Bob I have started using a self contained reel that is pretty simple.
It will not foul even if it free wheels and it is pretty small.
It will stow in a pocket or snap it on a d-ring.
I purchased two from Cave Excursions and found one in a box at a swap.
If you pm me your email I will send you pics.

If you like I will ship one to you to inspect and try as long as you send it back.
I have a spare so no worries that way you could try it before you buy it.
Up to you they run about $60-$70.
I have used them for lost line drills, jumps, etc. but as with all reels some will like them others will not.
Willing to let you give it a go if you wish.

CamG

Take a look at the new Halcyon spool/reel hybrid thing. Kinda neat, and might be what you're looking for. I still think a regular spool is the best for a safety application since it has the absolute least number of "gotchyas".

Defender Pro 200 | Halcyon

Last edited:
I've been using one of the little Dive Rite mini-reels for jumps in MX, and so far, it's performed very well. But it is made of plastic of some kind, so one could break it by sitting on it, I suppose. (I haven't done it yet.)

I'm with AJ. I just use a big spool as a safety. If I'm fumbling around in zero viz, the last thing I want is anything that can jam.

Ummmm.... link & pics for the rest of us? Please!

Hello Bob I have started using a self contained reel that is pretty simple.
It will not foul even if it free wheels and it is pretty small.
It will stow in a pocket or snap it on a d-ring.
I purchased two from Cave Excursions and found one in a box at a swap.
If you pm me your email I will send you pics.

If you like I will ship one to you to inspect and try as long as you send it back.
I have a spare so no worries that way you could try it before you buy it.
Up to you they run about $60-$70.
I have used them for lost line drills, jumps, etc. but as with all reels some will like them others will not.
Willing to let you give it a go if you wish.

CamG

I use spools for safety and jumps. I really enjoy my Light Monkey reel and imagine their cavern reel would work just fine if your set on using a reel.

For dedicated safeties, I carry a small Larry Green reel (I believe it's the jump/gap) on the butt of my harness and a finger spool in a drysuit pocket. Each is wrapped with a little over 150' of yellow hi viz line that is slightly smaller than #24 cave line (I believe from DGX), allowing me to get the 150' on the Larry Green even though it comes with less in white line. One reason for the hi viz yellow, that I only use on my safeties, is so that I can be sure I am not finding or tying in to my own line in an emergency. After having seen too many dropped safety spools, one of my instructors/mentors strongly advocates use of a safety reel, and I chose the Larry Green after having fouled my other safety reel too many times. I carry the spool in case I screw up with the reel.

I prefer spools because they don't foul. And I haven't seen a reel that hasn't been fouled by someone at least once. That being said, if you're set on reels I recommend the Ralph Hood reels. Easy to use but not as easy to foul. But any reel can be kept from fouling as long as you use it right. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom