Best Seattle dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Histrix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently relocated to Seattle, and I've been having difficulties finding a dive shop that I want to work with around here. I've tried two so far (they shall remain nameless). One will not get back with me regarding inquiries about classes, and is currently going on week 6 for a very minor computer repair (I only took it in because I couldn't order the part myself). I signed up for a class with another shop, but due to several major communication problems, I was given the wrong meetup place/time and now have to wait months to take the class the next time they offer it.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for the best people to deal with around here? Any input would be much appreciated.

You may want to be a little more specific as to the exact location that you reside. Your LDS should be a place that is most convenient for you to go to on a regular basis.

You might find your class issues easier to solve through an independent instructor -- since they do not work through a shop, lines of communication tend to be a little cleaner and more efficient. What class were you looking to take?

As far as your computer issue goes, it may well be that the device in question had to be sent back to the manufacturer. Most problems beyond battery changes are like that, and I know from experience that Suunto is EXTREMELY slow in getting things done. Of course, the shop should have told you, if that was the case.

I wish I could recommend a shop that is free of communications problems or other unreliability issues, but I've been diving here for seven years, and I can't. It seems to be endemic in the dive shop world, in Seattle and elsewhere.

The best shop might also depend on your goals in diving. If you are interested in tech, I would recommend 5th Dimension on Alki. Mark is incredibly knowledgeable, and can tell you everything you will ever need to know about the sport. He also has great prices. Even if you aren't interested in tech, I would still recommend the shop, although I have a feeling that those not interested in that aspect of diving might feel a little intimidated/alienated upon entering what with the dozens of doubles, stage/deco bottles, DPVs, etc lying all over the place. If you do go, just be sure to strike up a conversation. Mark is generally pretty silent, and won't say much unless you say something first. At least that's how he is with new customers/people he doesn't know. And if you are there during the week, you just might run into me since I practically live there when I am not doing school work =P

Another shop I would highly recommend is Underwater Sports Bellevue, with emphasis on the Bellevue part. While, I cannot recommend the chain as a whole (stay as far away from the Seattle store as possible), I can tell you that Doug (again, Bellevue store) knows how to run a damn fine shop! I can't count the number of times he has been willing to bend over backwards in order to help me out with something, even if he was already swamped with work, and my request required immediate action (such as a spontaneous VIP that I needed done within the hour). Every employee in that store is great. The major downside to that store is that they have to send gear out to headquarters (the Seattle store) in order to get it worked on since they do not have space to do it in their own shop. They ship gear to them every Wednesday I believe. But their great service is something that is extremely hard to come by these days, so I would say it more than makes up for the lack of a repair space.

As far as gases, 5th D offers the works (Air, EANx, O2, He, and Argon), and UWS-B offers Air and EANx only (up to 40% I believe).

I don't really have any specialized diving goals at this point. I just want to be treated well, given correct information, and have my phone calls returned :) The computer didn't even need to be sent to the manufacturer -- it just needed a new closure to the battery compartment, and the manufacturer wouldn't sell a replacement to anyone other than an authorized dealer. Not sure why this should take 6 weeks :/

I'll definitely be sure to check out 5th Dimension the next time I go to Alki. Thanks for the tip!

Snip

Another shop I would highly recommend is Underwater Sports Bellevue, with emphasis on the Bellevue part. While, I cannot recommend the chain as a whole (stay as far away from the Seattle store as possible), I can tell you that Doug (again, Bellevue store) knows how to run a damn fine shop! I can't count the number of times he has been willing to bend over backwards in order to help me out with something, even if he was already swamped with work, and my request required immediate action (such as a spontaneous VIP that I needed done within the hour). Every employee in that store is great. The major downside to that store is that they have to send gear out to headquarters (the Seattle store) in order to get it worked on since they do not have space to do it in their own shop. They ship gear to them every Wednesday I believe. But their great service is something that is extremely hard to come by these days, so I would say it more than makes up for the lack of a repair space.
I'd like to agree with you but I've been to both stores (Bellevue and Seattle) and will probably never go back. Staff with questionable knowledge, zero response to training requests (not going to work too hard to give you my money when there are so many options in town), prices that change by the minute (called once and after being told one price drove 1/2 an hour to find out closer competitor to me had to the lower price) and then the last straw was raising the price for repair after repair completed. Similar issues with other stores in town. One who has had a piece of equipment for almost 6 months now. At this point I find better service with what I can online which is too bad. I would love to support my local dive shops and I have worked at them before but service around here is pretty poor. Diving is a life risking activity. I want to know the people who I buy and service my equipment with are professional and have my best interest in mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom