Pricing... Zeagle Express Tech and Express tech Deluxe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captainhook426

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I"ve been "lurking" around for about a month or so looking for information as to what I want to buy and what is considered the "norm" for most divers. I'm in the middle of a hobby switch, from car audio, to Scuba, and will have my Open Water finished in a few weeks if all goes as planned.

Anyways. On to my Question.. I"m looking around online at BC's and realized that there is a $200 to $250 price difference between the express tech and the express tech deluxe. What is the real difference between the two BC's. I've been reading through the thread that NetDoc posted about the Express Tech and reading how everyone is doing and all the endless possibilities that could really happen with a little bit of Know-How. Thank you for any responses, and help that you can provide.

Thanks

-Sutton

Last edited:
The delux is often sold with weight systems (they have 2 models). That combined with a fancy harness account for the price difference.

The plain old express tech does not normally have weights (although you can add) and a very basic harness.

FWIW: The beauty of the Express Tech is the simplicity, light weight and compactness. The more bling you add, the farther you get from KISS.

Is there any videos, or information on those that have built the BP/W rigs? How are things added to the plate? Can I add and subtract to the express plates the same? Would it be better to buy the gear individually so I can pick what I want/think I need? Sorry, I"m timid because I don't know how they work. No one in my area, the middle of Kansas, is going to have the equipment that I can borrow or look at. My instructors and female friends dad are about the only ones that I know have anything. I have used her dad's back inflate sherwood BC and it kicked butt compared to the very uncomfortable jacket style BC that I use in class.

Thanks

-Sutton

I have a DSS BPW and was hesitant to get one because of assembly, but with the online videos and the included instructions it was an evening project and done. I am sure the ZET or other BPWs would be similar. In other words you can do it!

As far as interchangeability others may have more info but I believe you can switch out wings or even use the wing/harness on other zeagle backplates if you decide to later.nyou could also search the zeagle forum as there may be more detailed info there.

welcome to the sport!

Zeagle Express BC Assembly - YouTube
Jan 28, 2012 - Uploaded by CaptSamRich99
Zeagle Express BC Assembly. CaptSamRich99·35 videos ... Zeagle Express Tech 44lb ...

17:00 minutes later.... my general reaction is... THAT'S IT?!?!? I think Youtube will be wasting yet another night of my college days... So I guess another question is, What about those of us that are a little chunky. Like I"m 6'0" and 235 as of this morning. Are all the straps on BP/W setups like this and continuous for shoulder and lap belt?

Are all the straps on BP/W setups like this and continuous for shoulder and lap belt?
Well, at least the good ones. As noted before, 'simplicity' is a key concept. Having a single piece of webbing is consistent with that. The beauty of a BP is that it CAN accommodate those of us with an ample supply of bioprene. We just don't cut the waist straps too short. Or, if we do, the cost of a 'fix' is about $6 for another piece of 2" webbing.

I'm 6'0" and 250 lbs. The 2" webbing works perfect for me in a 7mil or in swim trunks.

I was very interested in the Express Tech after reading NetDoc's review. If my LDS (a Zeagle dealer) had carried it, I would have gotten it. Then I saw the DRIS deal and never looked back.

The Express Tech is a nice simple rig for people who don't need a lot of weight. For the diving I do I'm better served by a BP/W as I can switch between an aluminum and steel plate depending on what I'm wearing.

The express tech uses a soft plate (made on reinforced nylon fabric that is stiff, but not rigid like a traditional BP). The upside is it packs really small and is extremely light to travel with. The downside is there is no inherent weight to reduce your lead (like a S/S plate) and it is not as flexible to add or modify (you can, just a bit more limited). So how often you plan to pack up and fly to a dive destination is a big part of the decision process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom