Alternate Routing of BCD Inflator / Corrugated Hose / Inflator Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

relmbl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, here it goes.

I have used this set-up for 5 dives now (3 test dives in pool / 2 OW at 15 to 25 feet) and I want thoughts, concerns, and general feedback.

I was sick of the standard over the left shoulder routing for my BCD inflator assembly. I purchased a 22" corrugated hose from Dive Rite, 30" XS Milflex and routed the whole unit under my left arm to upper chest d-ring. Still has the pull dump and I use my bottom dump valve mostly anyway. I can pull it free from the d-ring as the retainer is surgical tubing circle connected to a bolt snap. I just push the inflator valve through the circle of tubing to hold it against the d-ring. Still reaches my mouth if I had to orally inflate and I can hand it over my left arm if I really want to raise it for ascents.

Causes my DS inflator hose and BCD inflator hose to angle down and really streamlines that side. I can see the mechanism much easier and it sits right next to my DS inflator connection should I ever have to disconnect from a free flow of either.

I will fully admit it is a tech dork move that is a hybird of side mount and single tank. But I am a dork who spends cold days tinkering with gear and always looking for improvements.

OK, I am a big boy, let the comments begin. No hurt feelings here.

Last edited:
No offense but it seems you are trying to reinvent the wheel. I am not exactly sure what the advantage is with back-mount tanks. I will need to try this with my express tech. It has a too long hose.

No offense taken, I think to a certain extent you are right. I don't think it gives any huge advantage. I guess maybe a better question is does it provide any huge disadvantages or safety issues.

I can tell you that you can see the inflator assembly much easier and it streamlines the hoses off the first stage. I have a light head I hang on the left which is much cleaner without the the inflator around the upper d-ring.

In general, everything is closer to the body and there are not as many lines looped about around the head on the left side.

Upwards routing (sidemount) makes sense because the cylinder/reg 1st stage is mounted low, below the armpit.

Downwards routing (backmount) makes sense because the cylinder/reg 1st stage is mounted high, behind the shoulder.

IMHO, when managing hoses, simplicity and straight-lines make the most sense.

Great point DevonDiver. I think that is exactly what I was trying to accomplish. I totally agree. By routing under left armpit, it follows with the DS inflator hose. This way the DS inflator hose, BCD inflator hose and BCD corrugated hose all follow the same path to the same location. It is much more compartmentalized than splitting the DS inflator hose from the BCD inflator assembly. It also follows the natural "drape" of the hoses coming off the 1st stage and off the BCD. I just adjusted the dump valve to point the corrugated down at like a 60 degree angle right towards the back of my armpit.

How does your D-ring attachments affect the inflator unit? I can see things conflicting with the inflator, since lights, and especially danglies would be in fighting for space.

Inflator hangs below and is not in danger of being accidentally activated. It actually sits slightly in, almost right over where the center sternum buckle strap connects (Dive Rite Trans Pac). The light head was always in conflict with the inflator. It's actually less tangled with the inflator coming under my left armpit. It is only at certain points in the dive as I regularly deploy it and attach by goodman handle to the left hand.

What happens when you decide to hang a stage or pony there?

OK, here it goes.

I have used this set-up for 5 dives now (3 test dives in pool / 2 OW at 15 to 25 feet) and I want thoughts, concerns, and general feedback.

I was sick of the standard over the left shoulder routing for my BCD inflator assembly. I purchased a 22" corrugated hose from Dive Rite, 30" XS Milflex and routed the whole unit under my left arm to upper chest d-ring. Still has the pull dump and I use my bottom dump valve mostly anyway. I can pull it free from the d-ring as the retainer is surgical tubing circle connected to a bolt snap. I just push the inflator valve through the circle of tubing to hold it against the d-ring. Still reaches my mouth if I had to orally inflate and I can hand it over my left arm if I really want to raise it for ascents.

Causes my DS inflator hose and BCD inflator hose to angle down and really streamlines that side. I can see the mechanism much easier and it sits right next to my DS inflator connection should I ever have to disconnect from a free flow of either.

I will fully admit it is a tech dork move that is a hybird of side mount and single tank. But I am a dork who spends cold days tinkering with gear and always looking for improvements.

OK, I am a big boy, let the comments begin. No hurt feelings here.

What happens - god forbid - that someone has to rescue you? I find you on the bottom, face down. You're unresponsive. I want to start to bring you up.

I vent my BCD so I can use yours to manage our ascent.
"S**t! Where the hell is this guy's inflator?"

After a few seconds I decide, "screw it, I'll use my inflator to manage our ascent."
We start to go up, slowly at first, but suddenly... you start to get more and more buoyant as the air in your BCD expands.
I need to vent your BCD, fast!
I let you go as you rocket towards the surface.
Bye bye...

In a different rescue scenario you get to the surface in distress.
You're having trouble establishing positive buoyancy, for whatever reason.
I try to help.

PS - there's no real "tech dork" who would make this move.

To robgoodman - My other bottle is slung on that side but sits below and back because I installed a butt plate and bungee ring under both arms. The Dive Rite sling kit allows the top bolt snap from the extra bottle to attach to the armpit ring under the inflator hose and then it hangs below. It doesn't impact the inflator at all other than if the bottle got entangled, it could possibly pull the inflator assembly lose from the d-ring holder. I played with that in the pool and a arm sweep brings it right back over the shoulder.

To RJP - Good thought process and the first real safety point to rigurously debate....love it! As for emergency ascents, you have a strong point but the inflator is totally visible in the same place it always is, an unknown helper will see it there without question. I will most likely sky rocket to the top because most rec. helpers will have to manage the stress of a critical incident, BCD expansion, dry suite expansion and they will probably dump about 70% of my weight by pulling by waist weight pockets. I have had the experience of removing lifeless bodies from the bottom of fairly easy depths and I will tell you there is nothing easy or clean about the ascent. I am not real sure my corrugated hose being routed 6 inches lower with the inflator in the same place will really make or break the situation. That said, I like your point and it has merit ... the little things are what add up to cause big things to happen.

As for no real Tech Dork would try this ... TOTALLY disagree. Tech diving was built on innovation and outside the box "personal preferences." What do you think other divers said when guys showed up at the caves with 7' primaries looped around the necks, or full 80 slung on their sides. Better yet, a combat diver with his doubles turned upside down. And too that point, what if you were helping an unknown side mount diver, his inflation equipment would be much more foreign in a stress situation trying to find inflator a then where mine is. IMHO, I think a real tec dork would do exactly what I am doing ... Never stop trying to improve upon what we have, try new things in a controlled environment and ask his trusted peers for feedback. One last point, I dive with the same 5 guys all the time if not every time. They know where my gear is and often theirs is in the same place (They haven't done this yet as we are still testing). If I had an unknown partner, the Pre-dive Brief would absolutely cover the difference.

RJP, than you for your response. Based on your location, I will truly listen to your comments. Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom