No-Harness Sidemount Rig - Just a bit of fun ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Had some time after finishing a tec sidemount/tec40 course this afternoon, so had a play around with a concept I've had in the back of my mind... no harness sidemount, using a M-shape bungee for both cylinder stowage and wing tensioning...

Ingredients:
1x DiveRite Trim Pillow (10lbs lift)
1x general purpose bungee (improvised - next development will be a 'proper' bungee with bolt-snaps for attachment.
1x weight belt
2x d-ring and retainer

I spent some time in the pool giving it a shake-out... inverted, rolls, upside-down, vertical etc. Used with 2x AL80s. I only mounted 2 d-rings on this occasion, so cylinder trim was dealt with by cam-band weights.

Following the pool work-up, I took the rig for a shore dive (27m/45 mins). I found it quite stable (enough so for some decent critter videography) and very clutter free - literally nothing on the torso. Video of the afternoon to follow...

Note: I am not suggesting/recommending that divers attempt to replicate this rig.

Bladder and bungee, without the weight belt attached.
542771_10151316425511976_351801756_n.jpg
Basic rig concept: small bladder is attached to a weight belt. D-rings on weight belt provide lower cylinder attachment points. Top of bladder connected to a long continuous bungee. Bungee routes under arm, up behind neck, down under the other arm - connected both sides to the wing.
No harness sidemount 1.jpg
in the pool and on the dive...
No harness sidemount 2.jpgNo harness sidemount 3.jpgNo harness sidemount 4.jpg
No harness sidemount 5.jpgNo harness sidemount 6.jpgNo harness sidemount 8.jpg
No harness sidemount 9.jpgNo harness sidemount 10.jpgNo harness sidemount 11.jpg
No harness sidemount 12.jpg

Attachments

• No harness sidemount 7.jpg
    No harness sidemount 7.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 672
Much tension/pressure on the back of the neck where the bungee routes?

I expected there to be... but I didn't notice any in the water! I did a pool session to check control/stability... then decided to hop into the water for a quick dive. Enjoyed it so much the quick dive ended up at 45 mins (working on the video for upload as I write this).

Plenty enough lift submerged. 2x AL80, each with a 2lb trim weight. That's all it took. Was a diver this week using the same pillow on a stealth harness. It manages 2x Al80 and a small stage just fine. Struggled a little with 2x AL80 and 2x AL40s. Surface support lacking though... agreement stages to be ditched and/or DSMB if substantial surface float was necessary.

I imagine you were using the standard rig setup, but for maximum minimalization(heh!), how short could one go with the hoses on that rig?

Looks intereating....

I imagine you were using the standard rig setup, but for maximum minimalization(heh!), how short could one go with the hoses on that rig?

Same as for any sidemount, I guess. Long hose & necklace bungee stays pretty dang streamlined though... steam-lining was an important criteria for me on the concept.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom