Coco View - mini-trip report - 9-16 March 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
My daughter and I spent March 9-16 at Coco View – our second trip in as many years. Great week. Some of the highlights/observations:

• Water temps 79-81F during the week.
  • Weather above the water was mainly sunny with daily air temps in the mid-80s F Saturday through Wednesday. We did have rain on a few nights and all day on Thursday. Friday was cloudy and cool, but dry.
  • We dove our 5mm full suits all week – comfortable, particularly on the colder days on Thursday-Friday (not sure of the air temps, but they served hot chocolate on the boats). There were folks on our boat wearing rashguards/shorts…these guys were more than a little cold during the SITs on the hot chocolate days.
  • We brought raincoats….which was really helpful on the rainy day/nights since the rain was pretty heavy
  • Night diving was cancelled Monday night due to stormy/wavy conditions
  • Despite the wind and rain during parts of the week, daytime sea conditions were VERY calm, since on several days, winds appeared to be coming out of the north (CCV is on the south side of Roatan). Very different from what we saw last year (minimum 2-3 footers every day).
  • Took my daughter on her first night dive = she loved it! We didn’t do more due to rainy/stormy conditions on a few nights.
  • There were a large number of CCV newbies there last week = I think they had more than 40 people on the front yard check-out dive Sunday morning. I think it was all handled with the usual CCV efficiency (as recent repeat guests we went straight to boat diving on Sunday morning), but this might be a situation where paying for a Sat. check-out dive would have been a good idea.
  • Diving with a newbie diver takes more attention and certainly reduced my photo volume. My daughter had 12 dives prior to this trip...she completed 18 more during this week. It was fun to see her confidence build throughout the week.
  • CCV seems to have replaced the fire dancers they used to have on Friday night with a local rock band led by a guitarist of some renown, Brian James. Great show with great music (60s to present day) and lots of dancing by all age groups
  • Honduras does not observe daylight savings time, so time time difference vs. US east coast time went from -1 to -2 hours on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Another great trip to Roatan and CCV = hope to get back there soon!

Chris

For some reason I can't edit my original post....:

correct, after a certain period of time you can't

great diving in Roatan :D

Thanks for sharing. Loved the crab pic. Since you contrasted sea smoothness with your last trip, was it the same time of year as this one?

Richard.

Thanks for sharing. Loved the crab pic. Since you contrasted sea smoothness with your last trip, was it the same time of year as this one?

Richard.

Yes, sorry, should have clarified that point...we were there March 9-16 this year and March 17-24, 2012. We had much wavier conditions last year. Never rough enough to keep us from diving, but there was at least one day where we plowed through 4-5 footers. The center boarding well on the CCV boats was a gift to my newbie daughter...made getting on the boat much easier in wavier conditions.

Have been with my daughter to CCV several times.
It just might be her favorite vacation destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom