Wing recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fra-zzr

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for advice and experiences with various wings. When backmounting I am diving an sms100 on a stainless backplate with twinset. I am not happy with the buoyancy of this setup as it tends to be too light in the legs and only just provides the lift needed to stay on the surface.

This wing will become my dedicated SM wing as its intended to be and i'm looking for another for the twinset.

Current thoughts are Apeks wtx6, DR classic, xdeep hydros, frog midnight or even an explorer/evolve.

Am worried about the drop in lift between the quoted 52lb of the sms100 and some of the smaller wings, but i feel that i'm not really getting the 52lb because of my setup..

Unfortuntly im living in Iceland so trying wings out beforehand is not easy.

Does anyone have any usefull comments about any of these wings?

Thanks!
Fraser

Play with the wing calculator at the top of the page. The only thing that is missing from it is approximations for wet suit buoyancy, although there is a place to enter it if you know it.

Hi thanks for the replies, tanks are euro 12s, diving is 90% dry. Stages are almost always aluminium or small steel tanks.

Keep in mind wing shape has nothing to do with trim. Trapezoid wings are marketed to "float your hips" better. But the fact is if there's no air in the lower half of the wing, which there never is if you're in 0 degree trim, then you hips won't float. The same goes for any other wing shape that's marketed to float you easier in a certain orientation.
If you're in 0 degree trim, your shoulders will be slightly higher than your lower half of the wing. So the air will be positioned roughly at the top portion of your wing or even all along the half of your wing.

All wing shapes will float the same, bottom line. It's your weight placement that affects your trim. So don't worry about shape; just worry about lift capacity and whether you want a circular or horseshoe wing. The only thing that shape affects is butt dump port placement. If your dump port is far off your extreme, you'll have to tilt more to vent that last bit of air.

I have a Frog Midnight and love it. They seem very popular on a particular UK based forum. I have an Apeks WTX3 for single tank diving which I bought first but chose the frog because I wanted a doughnut shaped wing to ease air migration.

Not sure I can agree with your comments on wing shape not effecting buoyancy. The trapezoid shape of thr sms100 in 0 degree trim will cause any air to migrate to the rear.

I have all my weights on cambands on the tail of my cylinders and am still out of balance.

Thanks for the comments so far, am currently leaning towards the wtx6 mostly for price reasons. Would like the evolve but can't justify a seperate 40lb and 60lb wing at the moment

Regardless of the shape of the wing, the air will simply refuse to go down. The damned stuff is pretty stubborn. It always goes up.

Doughnut wings will get your legs up and help w/trim........I'm leg 'heavy' and use hp100's and 120's regularly.....I use a doughnut wing from Deepseasupply and it helps in keeping my trim......Go to Deepseasupply.com.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom