In need of a Snorkeling camera Suggestions please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bwvbb

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in the market for a new snorkeling camera, i have about 3 weeks before my trip. I think my max budget is around $300. My research keeps pulling me back to the Nikon Coolpix AW100. I am a long standing Nikon fan but i am very indecisive in this purchase. I want to be able to pick it up and put it through the ringer before my trip to make sure i didn't end up with a dud.

Does anyone use this regularly?

Is there a better one i should look at?

Please advise! Thanks!!

Unfortunately I have not seen many actual snorkeling pictures posted anywhere from any of the "newer" Canon (D20) or the Nikon (AW100) cameras to provide any guidance. Same goes for some of the "highly rated" Panasonic and Sony u/w point and shoots.

Most snorkeling image posts on my haunts are still from folks still using a Canon D10 or one of the Olympus Tough series. Also, have seen some from the newer Pentax u/w cameras. I have had Canon and Pentax u/w cameras before my current Olympus TG820 and would go back and try a Canon again. The early reviews on the D20 scared me off, as did Canon's decision to carry-over the same faulty seal mechanism from the D10 (had two cameras seals leak).

Have not seen too many negative comments on the AW100, so if you are a Nikon fan don't think you can really go wrong.

Just take a look at the Intova Sport HD.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Olympus TG-1 and I hear that the newly released TG-2 is even better.
TG-1
Waterproof to 40'
Shockproof from a height of 6'-6"
Crushproof 220lbs
Freezeproof to 14*f
1080p
12MP
$350 or less

Thank you so much guys for the suggestions!!! It helps to have a few extra people to knock ideas with!

My wife has a Pentax Optio WG-1. I don't have any comparison, but I also have no complaints about it. :)

Hi All,

I am in the market for a new snorkeling camera, i have about 3 weeks before my trip. I think my max budget is around $300. My research keeps pulling me back to the Nikon Coolpix AW100. I am a long standing Nikon fan but i am very indecisive in this purchase. I want to be able to pick it up and put it through the ringer before my trip to make sure i didn't end up with a dud.

Does anyone use this regularly?

Is there a better one i should look at?

Please advise! Thanks!!

I hate the idea of a simple Point and Shoot.....if you build good compositional skills, and get yourself in front of something amazing, why not have a pro level photo as possible? The P&S's just don't do it.
But for snorkeling or freediving you do need small and no drag... So,

Try Nauticam NA-NEX5N Housing for Sony NEX-5N E- Mount Camera [nau.17402] - $1,650.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros this housing on
This camera Sony NEX-5N 16.1MP Camera; Body Only [son.nex5n.body] - $599.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

In water it is almost as small as a point and shoot, but it is pro level for the results you can get.

I hate the idea of a simple Point and Shoot.....if you build good compositional skills, and get yourself in front of something amazing, why not have a pro level photo as possible? The P&S's just don't do it.
But for snorkeling or freediving you do need small and no drag... So,

Try Nauticam NA-NEX5N Housing for Sony NEX-5N E- Mount Camera [nau.17402] - $1,650.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros this housing on
This camera Sony NEX-5N 16.1MP Camera; Body Only [son.nex5n.body] - $599.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

In water it is almost as small as a point and shoot, but it is pro level for the results you can get.

A set-up like that is one I'd love, but that example costs roughly 10 X what a good point and shoot costs (and that's without a lens). For me that and can mean one less vacation/trip for the $ I'd outlay to buy it.

Personally, I have a hard time differentiating PQ from really good point & shoot snorkeling images vs. dive images from super expensive rigs taken by semi-professionals.

In my opinion, the biggest components of what makes a great image is technique and composition, not necessarily gear (e.g. Ansel Adams). Still would be nice to have though.

here's some pics i took with the Pentax Optio WG-1 while snorkeling

193.jpg195.jpg213.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom