Transpac to sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnscooter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
DiveRite offers two choices to convert the transpac to side mount. One option being a square style tech butt plate. The other option is the triangle vesion like on the Nomad. Which one are people using? Does one seem to have more or less advantages. I am setting up for sidemount, I will be using 2 al80 tanks, I am a shorter diver 5'8" 200lbs if any of that helps. Just like to know which you think would be better.

It seems like DiveRite has gone to one style of triangle shaped buttplate in the current catalog.

Where have you seen the Tech Buttplate recently? I'd prefer it because it is less in the way when I am not actually in sidemount, and not wearing a crotch strap.

It seems like DiveRite has gone to one style of triangle shaped buttplate in the current catalog.

Where have you seen the Tech Buttplate recently? I'd prefer it because it is less in the way when I am not actually in sidemount, and not wearing a crotch strap.
Dive gear express, $149 with ring bungees and chokers. Do alot of you use the ring bungees????

I've been playing around with ring bungees, undecided yet......built my own though, can make em exactly like dive rite for only 10 bucks in parts

Dive gear express, $149 with ring bungees and chokers. Do alot of you use the ring bungees????

I love ring Bungies.

Oh I see why I could not find the tech buttplate.

It's under CCR's.

Diving a wetsuit with aluminum cylinders, I find the triangle version works fine. However, in a drysuit with thick undergarments and steel cylinders, I find the square butt plate is much easier to use.

Ok I just ordered the square one from L.P. $65 shipped. Next I am on to Chokers and ring bungees. My wife is a sewer and has an industrial machine. I am so lucky. My idea is to make chokers with bolt snap for tank valve and a similar one for on a cam strap. Going to be busy this weekend. But nothing else to do as we still have 30" of ice on lakes. I think Im doing a ice dive the end of april. I hate this state sometimes. Last year it was 70' and no ice on lakes at this time. So much for global warming thing.

DiveRite offers two choices to convert the transpac to side mount. One option being a square style tech butt plate. The other option is the triangle vesion like on the Nomad. Which one are people using?
As several have mentioned, it probably depends a bit on your exposure suit and the tanks. I normally use a triangle on my Nomad. I have a tech (square) buttplate that I bought at Amigos 3 years ago, that I have yet to try out. I don't know that the tech plate will offer any advantages to you, but it won't necessarily be a problem, either. Try it and see how it works. You can always go to a triangle.
mnscooter:
Next I am on to Chokers and ring bungees.
I have some ring bungees that I don't use (a present from a former SM student who didn't need them, either). And, I don't use chokers. So, my comments may be at variance with what you ultimately (want to) do. But, there are several ways of attaching your cylinders to your rig, and bungee-ing them in tight. Clipping the top bolt snap to the rings, with chokers around the valve neck and bolt snap, are only one. You might peruse some of the posts in this forum for additional ideas. Nothing wrong with what you are planning, but you might find easier / simpler solutions.
mnscooter:
My wife is a sewer and has an industrial machine.
LOL. OK, I know what you mean - she sews. But 'sewer' means several things. I wonder if she might prefer 'seamstress'. :)

there are several ways of attaching your cylinders to your rig, and bungee-ing them in tight. Clipping the top bolt snap to the rings, with chokers around the valve neck and bolt snap, are only one. You might peruse some of the posts in this forum for additional ideas. Nothing wrong with what you are planning, but you might find easier / simpler solutions.LOL.

I am all for easier/simpler I will do so more research on how to attach tanks.

OK, I know what you mean - she sews. But 'sewer' means several things. I wonder if she might prefer 'seamstress'. :)

I never have been a good speller. Just dont tell her what I called her. Thanks for the info.

I am going to set up for sidemount I am not doing any caves or wreck penetrations. Just trying to help out lower back a little, going to go deeper and dive longer. Starting with:transpac w/buttplate, Rec wing, hog regs long and short hose, DUI drysuit and DUI harness weight belt. 2 al 80 tanks. First question is about tank valves. I have to change them to din. How many out there are using Left and Right valves??? I would like to have this set up use standard tanks I can get anywhere. I understand hose routing my be issue but not sure if thats a big deal. Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom