Marty Snyderman & Andy Dehart - REEF Trip - Socorro Islands - Sharks, Rays, Dolphins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

REEF HQ

Diving that Counts!
Reaction score
Marty Snyderman here. Some of you might know that I am a proud member of the Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) Board of Trustees. I am writing this note to share some information about a trip that fellow Board member, Andy Dehart, and I are going to be leading to Mexico's Socorro Islands (aka Revillagigedo Islands) this coming December 3rd through 12th. The Socorros are a big animal mecca, and it is the manta rays, sharks, bottlenose dolphins, and other creatures (collectively referred to as Mr. Big) that are the areas featured attractions.

If you haven't heard of the Socorros (Revillagigedo archipelago) before, don't worry. You are not alone. The Socorros consist of four relatively small islands located 220 to 400 miles south of the southern tip of Baja. The islands are San Benedicto, Socorro, Roca Partida, and Clarion. Conditions allowing, over the course of our trip we will probably dive at the first three. All are known for big animal encounters.

So what kinds of sharks might we see? Good question, and I am glad someone asked! Scalloped hammerheads, Silkies, Galapagos, and Whitetip reef sharks are highly likely. Whale sharks, Tiger sharks and Oceanic whitetips are possibilities. I have seen all of these species during previous trips to Socorro. And you certainly don't want to overlook the opportunity to swim with pelagic manta rays. Larger than reef mantas, some of these graceful giants attain a wingspan of 18 feet.

And while Mr. Big will be the focus of the trip, there's plenty to see on the reefs.

We will be going on the Rocio Del Mar. This will be my fifth trip on the Rocio, a wonderful boat and diving platform. The crew is terrific. They are extremely knowledgeable, and dedicated to making sure that the dives are safe and that their guests are happy. Can't beat that combo.

And I should tell you a little about trip co-leader Andy DeHart. While his resume and business cards might describe Andy as the Director of Husbandry at the Ripley’s Aquarium in Toronto, Canada (after 19 years at the National Aquarium where he served in many capacities), I describe Andy as a “sharkologist”. No doubt about it, Andy knows his marine creatures. And he, like me, has had a keen interest in sharks for many years. Both of us are eager to share what we have learned over the years.

I could go on and on writing about magical dives I have enjoyed during previous trips to the Socorro's, but I prefer to look forward. So, to be part of this ongoing story, please join Andy and me aboard the Rocio Del Mar this coming December.

For more info and to book your trip, please go to:
http://www.reef.org/node/4886
Hope to see you in December!
Marty Snyderman for Marty and Andy DeHart

20121214__Cabo_Pearce_01-57-Edit-2.jpg
20111209_Roca_Partida_01-167.jpg
20111208_Mantas_Boiler_San_Benedicto_02-60-Edit.jpg

Don't miss out on this great opportunity to dive in a hotspot of sharks and rays and to learn from renowned chondrichthyes experts! Besides receiving a thorough education on Baja Mexico’s megafauna, you can get answers to the questions you’ve always wondered about, you can hear stories from Marty and Andy’s illustrious and interesting careers, and you can contribute to citizen science and make a difference. Participate in a REEF Field Survey Trip and you will see the oceans from a different perspective.

Spaces are still available, please call REEF at 305-852-0030 if you have any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom