HTS-2 Traps Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yardarm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After many dives close enough to the last one that the HTS never really dried I've been having 4-5 days between dive.
Normally I've been diving without additional weight - the AL backplate, SS STA and 120 Steelies have provided plenty. I rolled in after a dry stretch and what's goin' on, I can't descend without grabbing lead.
Initially I blamed the well-dried and fairly-new wetsuit.
One day in the pool for DM skills the instructor notices bubbles escaping from the top seams of the wing...lots of small bubbles.
After trying a few approaches to ensure the internal bladder hasn't been punctured - to be sure we repeated the investigation on the next pool session.
The HTS-2 external cover on has a mesh window on the bottom but nothing on the top. Air stays trapped until 35-50+ feet and then loudly, gradually escapes. Along with wetsuit compression, this creates massive negative buoyancy and at that point I'm well overweighted for the dive.
If I have several grommets installed at the top will this negatively affect the wing or its warranty?

Sounds like going a little head down should fix the problem.

Sounds like going a little head down should fix the problem.

Thanks but that doesn't get the air out - even inverted while doing a ********-shake-em-out dance :dancinglock:
...because there's venting on only one end, I guess - pretty sure a pass-through i.e. a vent of some sort on the top as well

After many dives close enough to the last one that the HTS never really dried I've been having 4-5 days between dive.
Normally I've been diving without additional weight - the AL backplate, SS STA and 120 Steelies have provided plenty. I rolled in after a dry stretch and what's goin' on, I can't descend without grabbing lead.
Initially I blamed the well-dried and fairly-new wetsuit.
One day in the pool for DM skills the instructor notices bubbles escaping from the top seams of the wing...lots of small bubbles.
After trying a few approaches to ensure the internal bladder hasn't been punctured - to be sure we repeated the investigation on the next pool session.
The HTS-2 external cover on has a mesh window on the bottom but nothing on the top. Air stays trapped until 35-50+ feet and then loudly, gradually escapes. Along with wetsuit compression, this creates massive negative buoyancy and at that point I'm well overweighted for the dive.
If I have several grommets installed at the top will this negatively affect the wing or its warranty?

Hi Yardarm,

Consistent with most 2 piece wings, trapped air between the inner and outer bladder will exit through the seams of the wing and/or the material itself if not laminated just prior to decending or entering the water. This is typically only a small amount of air.

The HTS2 is only the harness portion of your kit. Can you explain what size wing you are diving with your HTS-2 harness?? Historically, trapped in these configurations has been from using a larger wing than necessary, for example a doubles wing with a single tank.

Thanks,
Nick

Thanks for the reply Nick - i've got a 38 lb/lift wing and yes, it is clearly more than I need. I bought it in this size on the advice of the dealer's salesperson who I called specifically for direction on determining optimal lift capacity.

The amount of air being trapped provides 4-6 lbs of positive buoyancy; i.e. the amount of lead I have to use to descend - by the time I reach 35 feet it has begun to be forced out and is typically gone by 50 feet - at which point I'm 4-6 lbs heavier than I need to be and have to put additional air in the bladder to compensate. On the 2nd dive, or at other times when the bladder hasn't had time to dry thoroughly, I enter the water slightly negative without additional weight and no / little air in the bladder and finish the dive slightly negative at the safety stop (using a single 120 steel cylinder).

There are few options here in Cozumel and, regardless, I don't want to have to buy another, smaller wing. Will a couple of grommets cause any sort of problem? What about a bungee?
Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom