Favorite West End Dive Site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beth_castroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are looking forward to our up coming trip.

I love Elk Horn Coral and Flamingo Tongues.
I love cruising walls, in current, looking off into the big blue searching for soaring Eagle Rays.
I love Mary's Place going down the crack and then coming up into that wonderful coral head garden at 40feet and will make the trip from West End.

What is your favorite West End dive site and why? I'm making a list:)

Most of my group thought Texas was one of the best. We live dropped at Pablo's and drifted there.
The western tip of Roatan is home to the dive sites West End Wall, Pablo's Place and Texas. This dive can be started at either Pablo's place or West End Wall with both dives usually finishing of at the dive site Texas, which is named because of the extremely large barrel sponges found there.

Pablo's place is famous for it's large black gorgonians, bushy black corals and resident tiger and black groupers. The wall drops down to over 50m and these deep water corals are home for macro size shrimp and crabs as well as large schools of creole wrasse. Pelagics cruise this area and cero, barracuda, amber and crevale jacks are a common sight.

West End Wall is on the lee side of the plateau where an underwater ridge slopes down to the the western tip of the reef. Groups of dog snapper and horse eye jacks congregate in the waters here and most of the reef fish in Roatan can be found on this site. It is also home to the shipwreck of the Josie J, a small cargo boat that sunk in front of West Bay and now lies in 50m of water.

Back
Top Bottom