VT4 / VT4.1 - USB connection difficult when even the slightest bit wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Black

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have this annoying issue with my VT4.1 where I would do a full day's diving, get home, rinse the unit, let it dry for a good 2-3 hours and then go about trying to download the dives into Oceanlog.

Now by that time the unit looks and feels completely dry. Including the three contacts inside the DATA socket.

When I insert the USB plug into the DATA socket the unit most of the time will NOT go into the "PC CONNECTION" 120 second count down. It will not detect that the cable has been inserted at all.

I got two VT 4.1 and 2 sets of data cables here and both exhibit this behavior so this does not seem to be a faulty unit.

To make it work I either have to let it dry overnight or get a Q-Tip and get every last molecule of water out of the data port.

I don't think there is a solution to this other than what I am already doing. Just posting this here to invite comment and to save other people who may stumble upon this thread from pulling their hair out, reinstalling drivers, etc. The thing wants to be *completely, irrefutably, scientifically proven dry*, not just "looking dry" or it won't work.

Have you tried a shot or two of tank air?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep. Tried that. The manual says the contacts must be dry or the unit won't check for the USB connection but damn...... they really mean dry dry. Where I live and do most of my diving we have ambient humidity of 70%-90%. The thing really needs to be treated with Q-Tips or left overnight. But I [-]need [/-] want my data now, dammit!! :rofl3:

I wish they'd do Bluetooth or ANT+ in upcoming models.

/rant

Just in general, I have had success in drying wet electronics - generally computer components - by putting the item in a sealed plastic bag of rice for a while. Might be worth a try...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom