Robbery warning, Punta Cana. Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last week a young couple who are our customers were robbed at machete point just outside their resort on Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, while celebrating their anniversary. They were walking on the beach just a bit outside of the resort itself, and were jumped by a lone man hiding in the brush along the beach, and he threatened the wife with the blade of a machete, and stole everything of value.

Unfortunately they were wearing some very high value jewelry, and lost it all, but fortunately they did not resist, and they were not injured during this very traumatic incident.

After the robbery the resort told this couple that they should not have walked past the guard station at the edge of the resort's property, but they were never told this before they were robbed!

They had walked right past guards on each of the two previous days, with no one suggesting that they stop. The guards simply watched as the couple strolled past on their morning walk down the beach, with no attempt to warn them.

When they return, and I learn the name of the high end resort I will post that info. They want everyone to be warned of this danger.

Note: Travelers should not walk away from the security of your resort in places with high poverty, and high, or violent crime. Also, unlike our customers, you should also avoid wearing expensive jewelry that could make you a tempting target. They have learned a very hard lesson that they wish to share with other travelers.

Last edited:
.....Unfortunately they were wearing some very high value jewelry, and lost it all, but fortunately they did not resist, and they were not injured during this very traumatic incident.

Note: Travelers should not walk away from the security of your resort in places with high poverty, and high, or violent crime. Also, unlike our customers, you should also avoid wearing expensive jewelry that could make you a tempting target. They have learned a very hard lesson that they wish to share with other travelers.

I'll try to be polite about it....

Nobody deserves harm, even when they are idiots, but they were IDIOTS nonetheless.

This article refers to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

The OP refered to Punta Cana, Mexico (I find no online references to it though)

.............................................................................................................................

...and now that it's been corrected, it all makes sense....never mind me now.:D

Last edited:
This article refers to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

The OP refered to Punta Cana, Mexico (I find no online references to it though)
Whoops, my bad. Totally didn't see that. Didn't know that Mexico has a Punta Cana too.

Whoops, my bad. Totally didn't see that. Didn't know that Mexico has a Punta Cana too.

:shakehead: you are canadian, we expect these kinds of things from you.

Actually I'm not, but thanks anyway :tongue:

according to your location your are in canadia, that makes you canadian by association.

Back
Top Bottom