New aircraft wreck in Subic Bay (probably a C-47)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I wrote a report with photos of the my last couple of days diving in Subic, where we were investigating a previously unidentified aircraft wreck at 45m/150ft in Subic Bay, Philippines. C-47 Skytrain Wreck - Subic Bay, Philippines

Still trying to narrow down the aircraft variant...and if possible name the actual craft (serial number...). Having searched online databases, I can find no reference to any C-47 or variant crashing in Subic Bay...

Any help with research/aircraft-type expertise much appreciated!

dive 2.jpgdive2i.jpgguess-the-wreck-2.jpg

Nice find...

Have you tried PACIFIC WRECKS - World War II Pacific It's not especially easy to search, but they do carry records of a lot of aircraft losses. I managed to come up with a reasonably probable ID for a P39N Airacobra we found a couple of years ago by trawling through every P39 airframe lost in the South Pacific...

Failing that, JPAC (the Joint POW/MIA AccountingCommand) might be interested and able to help - I'll check with the guy who looks after the Solomons and PM you his email address if he's up for it.

Have done another dive and more research online... seems like it's most likely a Japanese variant of the DC-3. I didn't realize they were made under license pre-war in Japan, then built for the military. Aircraft designation is the Showa L2D "Tabby". They were based near-by in Clark Air Field during the war.... and there are reports of multiple Japanese aircraft being downed over the Subic Bay...

More photos, video to follow in a few days...

Many more photos here.. WWII Japanese Showa L2D Tabby aircraft wreck - Subic Bay, Philippines

Front-cockpit-section.jpgInternal-Bulkhead-rear.jpgstarboard-passenger-door.jpgtail-section.jpg

I dived this twice today. Fantastic dive! It's in really good condition. I'm thinking its American since the landing gear was down I would highly doubt a Japanese plane would be landing at the Subic airport. Can't really tell if it was shot down or crashed, need more time. I explores the top and port side. The grouper down there all over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom