Snorkeling photos from Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave C

Contributor
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of being in Utila for 10 days earlier this month. Although I am not a scuba diver, I am a very avid snorkeler. We stayed at Slumberland Villas in the Blue Bayou section of Utila. Snorkeling was very good right offshore with great coral formations, although the water was slightly murky. I'm picky and would like to see 100 ft. vis like you get in Curacao or Cozumel, but off Slumberland the vis was typically 30-40 ft. Blue Bayou is pretty much the only place on Utila that has good offshore snorkeling and from which you can walk or bike to Utila town.
Here are the pics:
underwater: Utila, Honduras 2013 snorkeling - a set on Flickr
above water: Utila, Honduras 2013 above water - a set on Flickr

Very nice photos both above and below!

When you go to Cozumel do you snorkel from shore or take boat trips? If boat trips what operator do you use? My wife & I are going in June and she doesn't dive but she does snorkel quite a bit. She takes pretty good pics snorkeling too.

SEMO,
Thank you. I have only been to Cozumel once (2005) and I only snorkeled from shore. My understanding is that the huge hurricane later that year totally destroyed all the shallow water snorkeling in Cozumel and that it will take decades to recover, so I have not returned. When I was in Cozumel, there were some good snorkeling spots with very clear water, but the water around Cozumel drops off so quickly that the area to snorkel was quite limited. You didn't have big areas that you could explore. Basically, although Coz has very clear water, I think it is a better location for scuba than for snorkeling - probably not what your wife wants to hear.

Last edited:
100'+ is common on the north side of utila year round and on the south shore usually april-september.

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 09:32 AM ----------

ps. nice photos. did you snorkel rock harbor and the fringing wall there? one of my favorite snorkeling spots

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom