Caribbean surgeonfish disease?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Whilst diving off of Ambergris Caye, I noticed that most, if not all of the surgeonfish had numerous circular cysts of some sort on their bodies. I was not able to ascertain any lethargy or other unusual behavior. Does anyone know what the ailment might be and whether or not it could cause a significant loss of these fish?

No marine scientists on scubaboard? No other Belize divers that my have noticed the same?

I am one of REEF's interns and from some personal experience I know that it is considered "black spot disease," and has been observed in surgeonfish and other reef fishes in the Caribbean. Little to no research has been done on the subject, however, so it's hard to say if the disease is causing mortality in the surgeonfish. It has become increasingly prevalent in the surgeonfish, having been seen in Bonaire, Curacao, and the Turks and Caicos (and now Belize!). Feel free to check out Strange symptoms in reef fish for more details. Thank you for your interest in this matter, I hope this helps! -Catie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom