Housing and strobe for my Nikon D200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arnaudborchard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am desperately looking for a housing and strobe for my Nikon D200. All brands I have consulted did discontinue their material. I am interested in new or second hand in a very good shape. Anyone can help?

Something I learned very quickly, is that the camera is the least expensive part of a quality UW system. Before you spend a bunch of money to house an old, discontinued camera, at least consider buying a new/used system which might include a more current camera.

When I finally ditched my old Nikonos stuff, I found a gently used Aquatica/D90 system with a single strobe and a few lenses for a fraction of new (on Wetpixel). Fortunately, it was being sold by a guy in Montreal, so I was able to go and see it before I paid.

I subsequently sold it to a guy on the west coast when I upgraded the housing/camera to a D7000. (That buyer has a shot in the April National Geographic, taken with my old camera!). i kept the strobe, added a second one, and kept the lenses.

Originally, I'd planned to house the Canon Rebel I owned, which I now understand would have been a waste of money.

I am with Stoo on this one. You will spend quite a bit on a housing for a camera that is quite outdated. Lots of D90's for sale and quite a few D7000's for sale as well. A used D90 is around $300 on ebay, last I checked. I am in the process of selling a D90 plus housing plus many extra components for $1500. You can likely do as well or better yourself.

I am with Stoo on this one. You will spend quite a bit on a housing for a camera that is quite outdated. Lots of D90's for sale and quite a few D7000's for sale as well. A used D90 is around $300 on ebay, last I checked. I am in the process of selling a D90 plus housing plus many extra components for $1500. You can likely do as well or better yourself.

My worry is that since I have many Nikon optics from my previous argentic cameras I need a camera that is compatible and my D200 makes it!

---------- Post added April 14th, 2013 at 03:53 PM ----------

Hi,
What are the extra components you are talking about: strobes?

---------- Post added April 14th, 2013 at 04:05 PM ----------

Then I would need a camera that is compatible with my nikkor optics that I have since years...

I would think that if the lenses from your old argentic camera fit the D200, they will also fit the newer Nikons... I'm sire someone will correct this if I am wrong, but I don't think Nikon has changed their mount from the D200 to more current cameras

If you are convinced that you want to house that camera, you will need to keep an eye on wetpixel and here. It might be worth contacting manufacturers directly to see if they have one on the basement too!

Have you seen Mike's ad in the Classifieds section of Scubaboard? As others have pointed out, the D200 is somewhat outdated but it is still a very capable camera and if you already have one and an assortment of lenses etc I think it is well worth housing. If you bought Mike's set-up, you would be able to get your camera underwater for a very modest outlay. If you do decide to buy it and need a macro lens and port for the housing, e-mail me at john.gulliver@ebox.tninet.se

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom