Looking for liveaboards for february/march 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thorbiorg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

Me and some friends (probably 6 total) all AOW/DM with 40/70 dives are planning to visit maldives the next year.
I know is early but we are moving in advance to see what prices/itineraries/sightings to espect.

Looking around i have seen mostly 7 days liveaboard that often do just 2 dives x day, since we are going there just for diving i was really interested in knowing if there was any kind of liveaboard doing more then 7 days (more like 10 days) and at least 3 dives x day (4 would be even better).

Is our first time in Maldives so any information would be awesome, actually i have read that january/march is the best time of the year to visit Maldives, but as i said before we are coming there especially for diving and hopefully to see the big stuff like mantas and whale sharks :), and i have heard the best season for whale sharks is more around may/june.
Anyone could suggest me if is worth moving the trip to match the plankton season or there are good chances to see them anytime of the year?

Ofcourse i could use some information about which itinerary to follow as our first time :)

Our budget depends pretty much on how long the liveaboard lasts, but we dont need a luxury boat, we just want a simple dive, eat, rest, repeat trip with lot of fish :)

Sorry for my bad english and thanks for the help

Your priorities sound like a pretty good match for the Carpe Vita Explorer (CVEX) liveaboard except for maybe one thing. CVEX offers 7 and 10 night trips with up to 4 dives a day. For first timers to the Maldives, an itinerary including the central islands (North and South male and Ari) would be a good choice for the 'best of the best' and South Ari should be a good op for whale shark and manta encounters. As for the time of year, between Nov and April is considered high season with Jan-March being prime, but the big animals are around year round… the vis might be reduced some in the low season but so will the price. I would not, however, recommend June or July. CVEX is part of the Explorer Ventures fleet and their group policy of pay for 5, get 1 free would benefit your group as well. You mention you don't need a luxury boat… and though I may be a bit partial, that's where the Carpe Vita Explorer does not fit the bill because she is a beauty. Keep in mind there are lots of boats in the Maldives so definitely do your homework before making your final choice. Let me know if we can help…

Sue H. / Explorer Ventures Liveaboard Fleet

Yes, if you want to see Whalesharks the season is around June. But throughout the year it is sited from various parts of Maldives. All others sharks, mantas... possible almost any dive.

Maldives Shark

Whale sharks are not seen in all atolls- if this fish is a priority, select your liveaboard based around Ari Atoll for your best chances. Around here they're seen almost all year round however it is easiest to spot them when the sea is clam- so Jan-April is best in my experience.

Mantas are easier to predict. Ari Atoll has a few different sites but I think your liveaboard would probably just go to Madivaru near the SW of the atoll. If the divers on the boat agree, you can make more than one dive on the same site- this is not a bad thing in my opinion.

I went on the Nautilus Two for a 10 day trip, going from north Male(checkout dive only) to Rashdoo, Ari(north to south), Felidhe, and south Male atolls. 3 dives a day with some exceptions(total dives is 25, two days have only 2 dives, though one of these is because you go whale shark snorkling, and the last day has none). This is an amazing itinerary.

Whatever you do, don't miss Ari Atoll, especially make sure you get a night dive at Maya Thila(I think most will take you on one, it's a famous and amazing night dive).

Notes and cautions for the Nautilus Two:
1) You may be the only non-german speaking group onboard, should be fine since you got eachother, and most of the germans/austrians/swiss can speak english.
2) When I did it, there was dives to 40m on 30% nitrox, IE: outside MOD, so I emphasize that you take care of your own safety. Also any dive deeper than 30m may void dive insurance on that dive because it's illegal to go deeper than 30m in the maldives.
3) Price was €1890 with nitrox(€1680 without) for the 10 day cruise.

thorbiorg I would recommend you a tour of Ari Atoll.

February / March is the best season, flat sea and plenty to see.

It's the Manta season as well as you have very good chances to spot Whale Sharks in the south of the Atoll.

In Ari the reef are colourful and there is lot's of fish.

Just got back from a week on MY Sachika visiting N & S Male and N & S Ari. Great trip - lots of sharks, huge schools of fish, a couple of dives with Mantas, but unfortunately no whale sharks. 3 dives a day for 6 diving days = 18 dives. Will post a full trip report later but all in all it's highly recommended.

Amba occasionally has 14 night whale shark and manta tours but I'm unsure of their schedule for next season yet and MV Sheena will be running some 2 week cruises around the time you intend to travel. Another option may be a cruise and resort stay, there are couple of liveaboards that I'm aware of that have associated resorts, the above mentioned MV Sheena and MV Monsoon both very popular and get a lot of repeat customers.

I have been around several species of sharks in different places in the Caribbean and around The Bahamas. I am not familiar with Maldives since it a long ways from the Caribbean, east of Africa. I've heard it is beautiful though.

I will give you what I KNOW about Tiger Beach, Bahamas. The operations called Dolphin Dream, an 85-foot yacht, is operated by Scott Smith. Capt. Smith has been an expert in shark behavior, their location, the water conditions of Florida and waters of The Bahamas. I consider him to be an expert of these amazing creatures, the waters, and the conditions to know what is safe and what is not.

We left out of West Palm Beach with a total of 10 divers, and most were well versed and several Advanced and DM's. In 11 hours, we were clearing customs at West End, Bahamas....then we were out at sea the rest of the time!! We were so impressed with the yacht, the crew, the food, the service, the kindness, patience, and just a very laid back environment. THE BEST IS YET TO COME......LISTEN TO THIS.......

There were 40-50 sharks around us at any given time!! No cage, no spearguns, just chum in the water and no fear added. We saw Tigers, Great Hammers, tons of lemons and tons of reefs. There were a few nurse sharks hanging around too. They will take you the reef dives too. Otherwise you get shallow 35-35 ft. dives that give you 90 minute dives!! On the last day I remember one of the DM's saying there must have been 100 meters viz!!

I looked around at other dive operators, boat operators, different trips, etc. Tiger Beach with Gregory Sweeney and Scott Smith are THE BEST in the business!! Gregory will help you get the most of your dive and your cameras. They are all about safety, watching the currents for you, taking you to great dives, even at night when they search currents, viz, etc. Amazing time.....so amazing I have booked again for 2014. Getting 4-7 dives a day for 5 full days of having a blast is just a total blast!!!! Great time, private rooms where you only share it with one person. The most amazing shark dive I've ever been on. I don't go on and on about a dive, but these guys are very professional, show you how to have a great time. The sharks are everywhere and they are very photogenic for all who come. I highly suggest it. For a trip under $3K US, all food included, unlimited tank fills, excellent food by a great cook, awesome staff who knows the waters and them camera gear, all on a nice yacht...Dolphin Dream will be a great time. Check out gregorysweeney.com and my youtube video by searching....TIger Beach, Bahamas Steve Castell.

It a great time for under $3K + airfare to West Palm Beach. WOW!! Great time for all the fun you can imagine!!!

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom