Mares Dragon AT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traveler218

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking to purchase a new BCD and was wondering if anyone has experience with the Mares Dragon AT? I really like the Aqualung Axiom i3 but have not really seen the Mares version before.

Any thoughts would be welcome

Robert

I am looking to purchase a new BCD and was wondering if anyone has experience with the Mares Dragon AT? I really like the Aqualung Axiom i3 but have not really seen the Mares version before.

Any thoughts would be welcome

Robert

I used a Dragon AT for about 4 years. I had zero issues with the airtrim (pneumatic) and probably put around 250 dives on that bcd. I actually just moved to a Aqua Lung Axciom i3....I mainly switched because I moved and my LDS here doesn't have mares. I have not dove with the Axciom yet (next month) so I can't compare (i3 uses push rod instead of pneumatics).

My wife has had a pearl i3 for a year or two and hasn't had any issues out of it. I think you'll find a lot of people don't like the airtrim or pneumatic parts and say go with a normal inflator.

I know this doesn't help much! Also Mares is coming out with a Hybrid Airtrim bcd which i think may be replacing the dragon (not sure if it is going to replace the dragon or just add to their line)

I would stick with a more traditional style BC/Inflator system. A couple of manufacturers released this system several years ago and it never took off. If you were to have an issue when traveling, good luck finding parts/someone to work on it. Above poster switched because there wasn't a Mares dealer, meanwhile, if it was a traditional style, could have kept the BC and had it serviced (kind of exactly what I'm talking about).

Thanks for the comments. I'm a bit of a geek, so the technology was sort of interesting. I actually placed an order with Northeast Scuba Supply for a used Aqualung Pro QD with i3. Turns out after waiting a week for the BC I contacted them and they no longer had the one they supposedly sold me, so he offered me a NEW BC of my choice. They were not able to get me an Axiom in my size prior to my scheduled dive in 3 weeks, so I was looking at the Mares as an alternative. After looking at the Mares (and the Axiom for that mater) I decided they would not be great for travel.

Instead I ordered a new Zeagle Stilettto. I've never used one of these either and I will miss the technology, but from everything I have read I think I will be happy with it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I think you'll be happy with the Zeagle Stiletto, it was between the Axiom and the Stiletto for me. I really liked the fit of the Axiom but I didn't have a local Zeagle dealer where I could have tried the Stiletto on.....so based off that I picked the axiom. I wasn't worried about not having a zeagle dealer around because there was no i3 or anything to worry about.

I have been diving and traveling with the Dragon A/T since 2006. Never had any problems and love it. Switched to Hollis when I moved into technical diving, but kept the Dragon for rec dives. I love mine.

Last edited:
My Mares Dragon AT had problems with the weight pockets that just fell out after being properly fitted and checked. This happened once at the end of a deep dive when I was still on 82 ft. Of course I thought it was a user error so I double checked everything before the next dives. Still the problem returned on a few dives. I was not the only one having these problems as I know people that even fix the pockets to their BCD with a steel pin! After denying the problem existed at first Mares later installed new pockets in my BCD. However I was not comfortable with it anymore and decided I would not take any risk with it. Other then that it's a great BCD. I can only advice not to use the weight system and use a belt instead. Losing your weight pockets on a deep dive can create a real problem.

Awesome bcd... However I wouldn't disagree with any of its detractors. I've still got mine but hardly use it anymore since getting a dive-rite transpac. The transpac is wonderful because its modular. Travel wing and a rebreather wing are all I need for every kind of diving I do! The dragon is bulky and heavy and not nearly as versatile. Still a great stab-jacket nonetheless

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom