Cozumel, Bahamas or St. Thomas...Your advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Friends -

Trying to plan a vacation with my girlfriend. It's the classic non-diver/diver trip. We've probably narrowed down our destinations to Cozumel, Bahamas (one of the main islands) or St. Thomas.

I am an experienced beginner diver (oxymoron I know). I don't get in the water often living in NYC, but when I do, I want the best possible diving since it's often a while before I get back underwater.

Speaking strictly for diving, like I said, which of these locales offers the best diving?

Cozumel has a great rep but a part of me just has not interesting in doing Mexico. Is the diving that much better to make it worthwhile?

Bahamas - unfortunately I think we would be on one of the main island (think Grand Bahama) and I have read the diving is not as good there as opposed to the out islands.

St. Thomas - solid diving but not spectacular is the feeling I get.

Where would you choose?

Brian

St. Croix has great restaurants and quite a bit for non-divers to do. Dive with SCUBA (st. Croix ultimate blue water adventures) for a great experience.

Otherwise, the diving in the other three is also good. Grand Bahamas was fun and Stuart Cove didn't good job (pick up services were helpful). Also consider Grand Cayman.

hey brian

since this question seems to come up quite frequently i wrote an article about finding your holiday destination on my page. there is a general section on the top and some shops recommended on the lower part.

these are shops i have personally been and they're all good!

thom

Cozumel has the best diving by far.

Cozumel has the best diving by far.

Cozumel is the BEST diving in the Caribbean for several reasons.
#1. Coral reef structures --- the south reefs (always Dive 1 for every dive op) are a maze of swimthroughs and vertical walls.... effing amazing stuff.
#2. Fishlife - everything from tiny blennies and seahorses to huge nurse sharks, every dive you see huge schools of fish, just amazing stuff.
#3. Every reef has its own personality -- some have raging fast current, which brings in tons of big fish, turtles, etc. Some have amazing swimthroughs. Some have low spur and groove structure great for schools of thousands of fish to hang out.
#4. Price -- diving in Cozumel is very inexpensive compared with many other destinations.

robin

Cozumel has great diving and excellent resort/beach combinations. Something for both of you.
Think St John instead of St Thomas. Diving isn't very special but the island of St John is like honeymooning in Hawaii. Bahamas, we like Club Med, on San Salvador, one of the out islands. Good dive operation, plenty of non dive things to do.

Only been to Bonaire and surrounding St. John (easily accessible BVI site) for diving. Been snorkeling/vacationing Akumal, Cozumel, St. John, Belize, Roatan, Antigua. I was not so impressed with the St. John and surrounding area diving. Now snorkeling St. John is pretty awesome...

Honestly of the three you listed (based on my St.John/BVI experience and reading tons on here), I think Coz would have the best diving. For topside, it depends on your girlfriend. Does she like to snorkel? Does she like the beach? Spas? Touring Ruins? Rivieria Maya/Coz have a lot to offer topside for her. Either that, or think about expanding your options to some of the other suggestions by other posters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom