Finally made it to Mexico ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This year I did something I’ve wanted to do since I got cave-certified in 2009 … travel to the Yucatan area of Mexico to dive in the caves there. I joined a group of 11 other divers, most from Cave Country Diving … who are from the part of Florida where I’ve been doing my cave dives since I got trained. Flying from Seattle to Dallas, and then on to Cancun, I joined my group in Akumal … a small town about 70 miles south of Cancun, and just across the straits from the island of Cozumel. We were staying in a resort called Villas de Rosa, which is literally on the beach just a short drive from the cave systems we’d be diving. My dive buddy Eric was coming from Texas, and this would be our first time diving together.

Arrival day was set aside for getting organized, arranging our gear, our schedule, and getting to know each other a bit. I was surprised to see that about three quarters of our group would be diving sidemount, which apparently is catching on in a big way among cave divers. So we spent the afternoon getting our tanks set up, and doing weight checks in the resort’s swimming pool. Odd to be diving in a swimming pool with a gorgeous ocean beach a hundred yards away, but we needed to do our weight checks in fresh water.

After breakfast we set out for our first day of cave diving, at a system called Nohoch na Chich. This system was chosen for our shakedown dives because it’s relatively large, and would allow folks some degree of freedom to make adjustments between dives and get their equipment just exactly right. It also happens to be stunningly beautiful. I had opted not to bring a camera on this first day … a decision I regretted almost as soon as I entered the cave, but one that was probably the correct decision to make. It gave me a chance to get familiar with my dive buddy, our guide Chris, and these oversize aluminum beer cans they call scuba tanks down here.

Our first dive was simplicity … follow the mainline. Unlike Florida they don’t use gold line down here … looks like somebody just took a big-ass reel and ran it down the central passage. So one has to pay attention not to lose sight of it, particularly since a lot of the jumps off to the side passages are literally inches away from the main line, exactly the same kind of line, and it would be easy to find yourself suddenly following a line that wasn’t the one you thought it was. Now I understand what people mean when they say that navigation is the biggest challenge diving the caves in Mexico. For sure the low-flow, shallow caves themselves offer easier conditions than what I’m used to in Florida.

And they’re gorgeous … jaw-dropping, oh-my-God, supermodel gorgeous. From the moment we got inside the cave the scenery was non-stop amazing. Giant stalactites and stalagmites, like melted wax drooping from the ceiling, or climbing from the floor, striving to meet each other … some barely a finger’s-width apart midway in the cave, others having joined long ago to become fluted columns, some standing alongside their neighbors looking like artistic jail cells, others joining together to form walls. Openings and side-passages beckoned mysteriously … come this way, see what wonders lay beyond … a siren call that is almost irresistible. Massive formations, formed by millennia of patient water drops slowly taking shapes both familiar and otherworldly … that one over there looks like the statue of a human. This one like a cat, an elephant, or a Buddha sitting with arms folded. Slender columns of limestone supporting delicate canopies enticed the eye and tickled the curiosity … what wonders lay beyond? This is a world that Dali or Tolkien would have been comfortable with … wouldn't have surprised me at all to see Gollum come swimming around the corner.

Our second dive was even better than the first, jumping off the mainline and going down a side passage that just seemed to go on and on. We turned that dive after about an hour, and who knows how many hundreds of feet of non-stop eye-popping splendor. I’m torn between the desire to return to this cave with a camera, and risking what I would miss by not experiencing one of the many other cave systems available to us this week. But we’re off to a great start.

This is a world most people will never get to see … one that most don’t even know exists. And for all the wonders I’ve seen in my travels on four continents, this is beyond anything I’ve ever experienced before. I’m not a particularly religious person … but this first day was a surprisingly spiritual experience. If, as some claim, this is the creation of God, then I have some words to convey to the Almighty … “thanks for sharing”.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I made my first trip to Mexico, about 3-4 weeks ago, and I'm going again in a week. It was simply stunning, and I can't wait to go back again and again and again.

And people wonder why I don't do much diving in Florida . . .

Thanks much for the dive report. I've got my first trip to the Yucatan scheduled the end of May. Alas, this is a family vacation, staying at an all-inclusive resort in Cancun. I'll be diving mostly with my daughter who is not cave certified (and isn't ready to train yet, although she very much wants to). So of the 6 days I've managed to negotiate for 4 days of diving, one day of salt off Playa Del Carmen, one day of salt in Cozumel, one day of cenote in the cavern zone, those three days with my daughter (the only other family member who dives), then I'll sneak off for one and only one day of actual cave diving (guided). It is a very tough thing, being so close and only getting in two cave dives, but I only see my kiddo a few times a year and diving is one of the things we do together (she's adult), so, family over cave. Sigh. I have to sign up for the next Cave Country Dive Shop trip. Say 'hi' to TracyN for me.

I'm going back next month and am psyched. Glad to hear you guys are having fun down there.

Thanks much for the dive report. I've got my first trip to the Yucatan scheduled the end of May. Alas, this is a family vacation, staying at an all-inclusive resort in Cancun. I'll be diving mostly with my daughter who is not cave certified (and isn't ready to train yet, although she very much wants to). So of the 6 days I've managed to negotiate for 4 days of diving, one day of salt off Playa Del Carmen, one day of salt in Cozumel, one day of cenote in the cavern zone, those three days with my daughter (the only other family member who dives), then I'll sneak off for one and only one day of actual cave diving (guided). It is a very tough thing, being so close and only getting in two cave dives, but I only see my kiddo a few times a year and diving is one of the things we do together (she's adult), so, family over cave. Sigh. I have to sign up for the next Cave Country Dive Shop trip. Say 'hi' to TracyN for me.

Today we almost made it to the Blue Abyss on the first dive and checking out Dark Side of the Moon on the second ... dives of 98 and 100 minutes, respectively.

It was my first successful photo shoot inside a cave ... yesterday at Chan Hol I took some pictures, but operator error setting up the camera resulted in all of them being out of focus. So I made up for it today ... here's a few shots from today's dives ...

IMG_5728.jpgIMG_5729.jpgIMG_5732.jpgIMG_5734.jpgIMG_5738.jpgIMG_5741.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
I know what you mean Bob..did my first Cenote dive at Dos Ojos in Feb! Pretty cool indeed..I found it very relaxing and tranquil!

WOW nice pics.. It must be tough to get the lighting just right...

The lighting took me three dives to figure out ... Monday's pictures were all slightly fuzzy, due to a setup error on my part when I put the camera in the housing (accidentally switched the lens to manual focus, which I can't do once it's in the housing), and yesterday's first dive I was still finding the sweet spot for strobe positioning. Got it pretty well figured out by the second dive, though.

The really good photographers use remote strobes, which either their subjects carry or they place ahead of time. I have a nice camera rig, but not that nice.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom