Getting to Roatan from Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brnt999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning out a dive vacation. I have a month of vacation saved up at work and was planning to spend a couple of weeks in Cozumel and a couple of weeks in Roatan/Utila. I may even spend time in Cozumel, then Belize, and then Roatan. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to get from Cozumel (Cancun) or Belize to Roatan. Does anyone know what my least expensive options are?

Swim, or somehow gateway to and through mainland Honduras. Not 100% up to date on this, but the only way to get to Roatan in thru Salvador or Honduras. If you can get to the Northern coast of the mainland, there is a ferry that will trade you some cash savings for your extra time expended.

It seems odd that you can't get at the Bay Islands easily from Belize (90 miles NNW). The last such flight I took on that TACA/Islena route was 1998.

It's possible thru Belize. I didn't see anything between Cozumel and Roatan unless you fly back thru Houston or Miami.

Ferry from Cozumel to the mainland. Then somehow to the ADO bus terminal in either Cancun or Playa Del Carmen. Autobuses ADO Take the bus to Belize City. Detail in english from the Belize side: The Belize Bus Guide

To move around Belize there's a ferry to Ambergris or flights south. Maya Island Air or Tropic Air.

Fly TACA from Belize City to Roatan. 2 long overnight layover flight options:

1 stop Taca connection thru San Salvador - about $636US.
bze1.jpg
2 stop - thru San Salvador then Tegulcigulpa about $357US. Adds 4 hours to the trip.
bze2.jpg

This is the portal to search other dates/times: Matrix - ITA Software
Note that when you select BZE as your origin, pricing is in Belize $$.

That was entertaining, I didn't know that trip was actually possible. We may try that one day.

Travelling between Roatan & Utila We took the ferries. About $100 r/t.
The morning return gets you back to Roatan about 10:30AM for your flight out.

Thanks.

My mistake was relying on the large, mainstream flight search engines like Expedia. They don't include the small, local airlines in their data base.

If you've got time to burn or just like long boat rides, there's always water taxi Home Page (Beilze City to Puerto Cortes)

I also have info on a catamaran that makes the trip from Roatan - San Pedro, Belize. Minimum of 3 people @ $350 each or 2 @ $500 each. Includes all meals and a 3 day sail. Pm me if you'd like more details.

Last edited:
There's also this one:
Capture.jpg

But it's $805 if I'm doing the conversion correctly. Would allow you to bypass Belize, San Pedro Sula, etc. and fly direct to Roatan.

CM Airlines (Home - CM Airlines) to Roatan.
That's a good way between Roatan and Utila also - $162 R/T. Shame it's only available on Saturday morning - we can't get to Roatan till around noon.

When you fly internationally you'll get hit with extra taxes no matter how you do it. You will probably also incur departure fees, though either or both of these might be included in your air ticket cost. It really comes down to money vs. time. You can take the bus from Cancun to Chetumal and then the water taxi into San Pedro Belize, spend some time there, head to Belize City and take the water taxi down to Puerto Cortes, Honduras and then take a bus from there to San Pedro Sula and then again to La Ceiba. From there you can take a ferry to Roatan. I've never done this myself but have seen reports of people who have done all the segments. In Honduras, it's somewhat common for people to do the Honduras-Belize trip because in order to extend a 90 day tourist visa you have to leave the country for something like 72 hours. It's sometimes called the "Belize Visa Run."

YMMV.

There's also this one:
View attachment 152183

But it's $805 if I'm doing the conversion correctly. Would allow you to bypass Belize, San Pedro Sula, etc. and fly direct to Roatan.

Back
Top Bottom